for new students
Buying a new pc? Here are some pointers.
- Ivy Bridge or Haswell Core i3/i5/i7, or any 2 GHz (or faster) Core 2 Duo/Quad processor
- 4 GB (or more) RAM
- Any size hard drive (computers today come with 250GB or larger hard drives)
- CD/DVD-RW drive
- Windows 7 Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate. New PCs come with Windows 8 but can be downgraded to Windows 7 if you don't feel comfortable with the new OS. New Macs come with Mac OSX Mavericks
- Integrated graphics are good for almost all situations, look for driscrete graphics by Nvidia or AMD if you play games or work with image editing applications such as Photoshop.
- Wired and Wireless network connections. Laptops today come with 802.11ac wireless adapters.
Learn more about Windows 8 here.
Learn more about the latest version of Mac OSX here.
Buy your computer considering not only your current needs but also what your
needs may be over the next four years. With software and hardware evolving
rapidly, it is probably wise to buy a faster machine with more RAM and a larger
Where is Information Technology located?
We are located in 19 Skyline Drive, room 2NF31. Click here for a Campus Map.
How do I request services?
Click here or Call 914-594-2000.
You can also click the link 'Submit a ticket!' at the top of our website.
Are my email and network passwords the same?
Yes, your email and network passwords are the same.
Why doesn't my email/network password work?
Passwords are valid one year from the last time they are changed. 15 days prior to its expiration, you'll receive an email notifying you of its expiration. This email will be followed by another one 10 days prior, 5 days and then each day after until the password is changed.
If you try to use the wrong password too many times, the system locks you out for security reasons. If you contact the Helpdesk during normal business hours, we will gladly unlock your account or you can visit isweb.nymc.edu and use the utility found there.
If you need your password reset, please visit the Helpdesk in person between 9:00am - 5:00pm with your Student ID. If you are unable to visit the Helpdesk, you can call 914-594-2000 or try the password utility at isweb.nymc.edu.
Why am I unable to send or receive e-mail?
You may be over your storage limit.
- Each mailbox has a storage limit. You will be notified by the System Administrator when you are close to that limit.
- Items may need to be deleted or saved to a Personal Folder.
- Each folder listed under the heading Mailbox-[username] resides on the server and counts against your storage allocation.
- When the 100MB of storage threshold is reached the server will send you a warning notification.
- When the 125MB of storage threshold is reached the privilege of sending email is suspended.
- When the 150MB of storage threshold is reached the privilege of receiving email is suspended.
Can I change my email/network password?
Yes, you can change your password on any computer with an internet connection. Go to isweb.nymc.edu and enter your login name and password. When you enter the isweb.nymc.edu main page, on the top left table there is a link to Change Network Login Password. Click on the link and follow the instructions. If you need assistance changing your password, please call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000.
I forgot my email/network password. What do I do?
If you have forgotten your email/network password you can use our online password reset utility to create a new password. You can access it by clicking on the "Reset Password/Unlock Account" link at the bottom of the isweb.nymc.edu webpage.
If you have difficulties using the online tool, you will need to have your password reset by Information Services. Password change requests may be made in person at the Helpdesk or by calling 914-594-2000. Normally, we can give you a new password immediately, however, please allow up to 15 minutes for password change requests to be processed. Please understand that in an effort to protect your interests, we are unable to reset your password unless all identification requests are met.
How do I save files to my X Drive on the network?
On-campus you can access the X Drive from a computer that is on the NYMC domain, such as the computers in the library. However, if you are on your personal computer, or you are off-campus, you can only access it by going through the NYMC Citrix Web Interface by logging into isweb.nymc.edu and clicking on Citrix Web Acess under NYMC Web Links.
Click here to submit a ticket or call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000 for any further assistance.
- In the Message Center, follow the instructions to install Citrix, if this is the first time accessing Citrix from your computer.
- Example: for PC using IE click the download link and install Citrix or, for Firefox and Mac users, Save the file, then install.
- Run the file. If a Security Warning pops up select Run.
- The Installation Progress window will appear, wait until it completed.
- Then Restart the browser then click the link above and allow the Active X control to run if doing this in Internet Explorer. Other browsers may ask to allow the plugin to run.
- Enter your NYMC login account information. Accept to download the file if required.
- Click the Desktop ICON (Allow if warned by your browser) Wait for the Citrix window to load.
- Login using your NYMC Account.
- Select 'Full Access' and Select 'Never ask me again'. This will let you access your local drive for importing or exporting data off campus.
- Finished! Citrix acts as a virtual Windows screen and works just like your desktop. To access the X Drive for example, go to My Computer on your Citrix desktop and select the X Drive like you would normally.
How do I access my email?
You can access it by logging in to isweb.nymc.edu and clicking on the Email Web Access link found under NYMC Web Links.
Does NYMC provide antivirus software?
Only for Windows Users!
As a student, employee or Faculty you can receive virus-protection for your computer at no charge. It does not matter if you are a resident, graduate, full-time or part-time employee - it is available to you. This software is available on our website and can be downloaded from this link . You must be on-campus for the campus anti-virus program to be updated. For more information contact the Helpdesk.
Is there wireless access in all buildings?
Wireless access is available in the following buildings:
- Administration Building
- Basic Sciences Building/ Health Sciences Library
- Medical Education Center
- Student Housing
- 19 Skyline Drive
- Vosburgh Pavilion-First Floor Only
- Learning Center
What is the McAfeeSaaS Control Console Portal Page and how do I use it?
The McAfeeSaaS Firewall will filter all incoming email messages to students, faculty and administrative staff and identify messages that appear to be unsolicited. Users will receive a daily report and have an opportunity to review messages identified as SPAM. Users will also be able to adjust settings individually if they wish to define additional filtering for their account.
Learn more about the McAfeeSaaS Firewall by clicking here.
Are my network and MoodleRooms passwords the same?
No, your email/network, and MoodleRooms passwords are different. If you wish you can change them to be the same on your own. However, your MoodleRooms password never expires, while your email/network password expires one year after the last time it was changed. Remember this when changing your email/network password.
Can I keep my NYMC email after I graduate?
All non-returning student accounts are disabled on or around June 1st following the year they graduate. A non-returning student is defined as one who has graduated and/or is not enrolled for the Fall term. If you will be participating in a SPH Certification program, it is highly recommended that you request your account be extended.
Do I need to activate the network port in my room?
No, most ports are activated before students move in. However, if you believe yours is not, please contact us at 914-594-2000.
The internet is not working in my room. What do I do?
The best way to troubleshoot this problem is for you to call us from your room. However, before contacting us, please verify the following and have this information available when you call:
If you are still having problems call the Helpdesk 914-594-2000.
- Is your Ethernet cable plugged in properly and do you get a link-light where it plugs in to your computer?
- Do you get a "good" IP Address? A "good" IP addresses for NYMC would be defined as one beginning with 10. (ex. 10.42.1.123).
- Is your computer configured for our network?
- Does your computer connect on another port (i.e. roommate's)?
- Does your computer connect when you use another Ethernet cable?
How do I find the physical address of my ethernet card?
- Open the Run window.
- Type "cmd".
- Click OK.
- At prompt type "ipconfig /all".
- Press Enter key.
- Find your "Physical Address".
- Click on your apple in top left corner of screen.
- Click on "System Preferences".
- Click on the icon labeled "Network".
- Make sure TCP/IP tab is selected.
- Locate the line that reads "Ethernet Address".
Network access has been blocked in my room. Why and what do I do?
There are several reasons that network access in your room may be temporarily suspended. They all have something to do with your computer being part of the larger NYMC community and your responsibilities as a network user:
If a device is connected to the port that interferes with other userís ability to use the network, Information Services will track the device and shut down the port. If we can, we will also try to contact you via telephone to advise you of the action. Some examples would be a wireless access point that interferes with the Collegeís wireless network or a virus infected computer.
If Information Services sees apparent illegal activity, such as the downloading of copyrighted material via a peer-to-peer connection or the sending of emails that are in violation of College policies. These activities will be referred to your Deanís Office for review and potential action.
If your port is deactivated, you will need to contact the Helpdesk by submitting a ticket here or calling at 914-594-2000 before it will be reactivated. You may be required to visit the Information Services office located in 19 Skyline Drive, 2NF31 to perform this activity.
I have a router that I would like to use in my room. Can I just plug it into my port?
No routers are allowed to be used within the NYMC Campus.
We supports all faculty and academic staff with any and all information technology issues (computers, email, telephones, network, labs, etc.). Here are some frequently asked questions which should help you get started:
Please call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000 for more information or click here to submit a request.
What IT services will be automatically set up for me?
The following will be automatically set up for you: email, network file storage space, hardware.
What computer training is available at New York Medical College?
Information Services does not provide any training with hardware or software at NYMC.
What software is installed on Computer Lab PCs?
All campus computers are equipped with Microsoft Office Suite and are running Windows 7.
How do I acquire more software/hardware for my computer?
You can purchase additional software from the NYMC Bookstore, and you can request computer hardware by calling the Helpdesk 914-594-2000 and getting a price quote.
How can I use my start up funds to get more hardware and software?
For help, please contact the Purchasing Department at 914-594-4696.
Can I borrow hardware, and if so, what is available?
Contact the Educational Media Department, 914-564-4225 or the Library 914-594-4200 for equipment.
Who can help me with course projects that integrate technology?
Call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000 or submit a request by clicking here.
How do I access network file servers?
Call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000 or submit a request by clicking here.
How can I share files with my students and research team members?
Call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000 to request a Network Access Form, or you can view it here.
What Multimedia Labs, resources and project support are available to me and my classes?
Information can be found by calling the library at 914-564-4200.
How do I reserve a computer lab for my class (during or outside my scheduled class time)?
If you need a computer lab for any class meeting, please make a room reservation by following the instructions found here.
How can I get training to use the AV/computing equipment in my classroom?
Contact Michael Cotter (email@example.com) or call Educational Media at 914-564-4225 to schedule a training session.
What phone services are available to me and how do I set up my voice mail?
To view instructions on how to use your office phone click here.
Where do I find information on library services for new faculty?
For information on library services, follow this link: library.nymc.edu.
What support can NYMC Helpdesk give with my home laptop or computer?
Please call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000 for assistance.
What hardware and software benefits are available to employees for home use?
Benefits are available for home use only if they are work related. Contact the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000 for further information.
How do I request a delivery/read receipt for a message I am sending?
While composing your message, go to the 'View' menu, and select 'Options....' In the Message 'Options' window that appears, check the box next to either 'Request a delivery receipt for this message' or 'Request a read receipt for this message', as desired. Click 'Close'. (Please note: if you are using Microsoft Word as your email editor, then you need to find the 'Options...' button in the toolbar instead of the 'View' menu.)
What can I do to reduce the amount of junk e-mail I receive?
You can turn on the junk mail filter, which can reduce (but not eliminate) the amount of junk mail you receive.
For more information, Call Helpdesk 914-594-2000.
- Log into your email account on the web by logging in to isweb.nymc.edu and clicking on the Email Web Access link found under NYMC Web Links.
- Click 'Options' on the left-hand toolbar of the web mail client.
- Under 'Privacy and Junk Email Prevention', click the 'Filter Junk Email' checkbox so it is selected. You will have to scroll down to find this option in the Options window.
- Click on 'Save and Close'.
What can I do when my attachments won't open?
Occasionally, files will lose their association with their applications. The workaround for this is to manually open the application, and open the file from within the application.
- In Outlook, right-click the icon of the attachment and choose Copy
- Right-click somewhere on your desktop and choose Paste
- Open the corresponding application, ie. Word, Excel
- From the File menu choose Open
- From Look in: select the Desktop and point to the file.
How can I access another user's e-mail folders such as the calendar?
First, the user has to grant you permission to open their Outlook folders. Second, you must add the user's mailbox to your Outlook account, which will be visible through your folder list.
How do I get an e-mail back that I accidentally deleted?
From within "Deleted Items" folder, click on Tools menu and select Recover Deleted Items. If that option is grayed out, then please contact the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000.
How do I remove personally identifying information from Microsoft Office documents?
In Microsoft Word and other Office applications, your name and other personally identifying info is automatically saved in your document. You can turn this off on a document-by-document basis by going to the Tools menu, clicking on Options, and clicking the Security tab. Check the box entitled "Remove personal information from file properties on save" then click OK.
How do I backup my files on my PC/Laptop/Mac Computer?
It is recommended that files that you work on for your department be stored in your departmental file share. There are a number of ways to backup your other files:
- CD/DVD: All machines purchased by the College will write CDís & DVD.
- USB (also called thumb or flash) drives: Every system has the ability to connect a flash drive to a local USB port. Keep in mind, USBís can break or get lost easily, so donít rely on this medium as your only backup solution.
- External Hard Drive: For larger backup needs, you can purchase an external hard drive. (recommended for MACís)
How do I map a network drive?
First you need to make sure that you have the required security privileges to access the drive in question. You can find this out by asking your department supervisor. Second, most common department drives are mapped automatically, and do not need to be mapped. If you are supposed to have access to your department drive, but do not see it in your My Computer, please submit a request my clicking here (by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are off-campus) or calling calling 914-594-2000.
If you are certain that a network folder is not a standard mapped drive and that it needs to be added manually, then follow the directions below.
- Right click on My Computer
- Select Map Network Drive...
- Select a drive letter (it does not matter what letter you choose)
- Type in the full path of your network folder (i.e. \\server name\foldername)
- Check or uncheck Reconnect at logon, depending on if you want this drive be permanent
- Click Finish
How can I connect to a network printer?
All network printers are set up on one print server: Call Helpdesk to verify your department network printer name. 914-594-2000
Access a server by doing the following:
- Click Start.
- Click Run.
- Example: Type \\adminserv\printername or \\deptserv\printer name, in the Open box and hit Enter or click OK.
- Find the printer name, double-click on it, and wait for a few seconds, and then the printer will be installed on your machine.
When installing new software, I get the following error message: "You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation."
This Windows system error is generated when the current user is not an administrator on the local machine. Submit a request here, email the Helpdesk (email@example.com)or call 914-594-2000 with your computer name.
To get your computer name, right click on My Computer icon and select Properties. Then click the tab that says "Computer Name." Type the computer name in the e-mail and request to be an administrator on your machine.
What should I do when I get a pop-up message from TrendMicro alerting me to a virus?
If the message states that a file or e-mail was quarantined, then click on OK. The file was quarantined and no further action is required.
If the message states that the file could not be deleted by TrendMicro, then contact the Helpdesk and give the specific message.
What should I do if I lose my internet connection?
Cables often come loose or get plugged into the voice jack by mistake. Make sure the network cable is plugged into a jack labeled "D1 or D2", which is for Data connections. Please check the network cable between your computer and the wall jack. It should be securely fastened in place. Restart your computer if the cables are connected properly. Call the Helpdesk if you cannot connect after a reboot.
What do I do if my local printer is not printing?
Most printer problems are caused by a lapse of communication between the printer and the computer. Before contacting the Helpdesk, please try the following steps to resolve your problem:
- Make sure printer cables are securely attached to the printer and computer.
- Power the printer off and back on.
- If printer does still not respond, restart your computer.
I can logon to the computer but I am unable to access the Internet, e-mail, or network drives.
- If you are unable to access these three components, make sure your Ethernet cable is plugged into the back of your computer, as well as the wall jack.
- Restart your machine.
- If all cables appear to be properly connected, please contact the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000
What do I do if my computer will not power on?
- Check to see that CPU and monitor are both plugged in
- Is the surge protector on? Try resetting the surge protector
- Check to see that all the cables are secure
- Try plugging the power cables directly into the wall
- Always turn on the monitor first and then the CPU.
- Check if you getting power to others devices that is plug into the surge protector.
- Call the Helpdesk at 914-594-2000