Background (1996 - present)
Urology Research Laboratory has been officially established in 1996 with commitment of Dr. Camille Mallouh, former Chairman and Emeritus Professor. Sensuke Konno, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor and the full-time Research Director, who has been conducting the multifaceted research projects since 1996. Dr. Konno and the urology residents have published 36 papers in the prestigious journals, made 69 presentations at the major national and international meetings and conferences, and also won over 15 awards and prizes in those meetings/conferences.
The followings are the current (on-going) research projects being performed under Dr. Konno’s supervision:
- Critical role of oxidative stress in nephrolithiasis and its potential prevention with specific antioxidants
- Prevention of renal ischemic/reperfusion injury with conventional and alternative approaches and their possible mechanisms
- Assessment of possible insulin-like activity of SX-fraction (mushroom extract) with hypoglycemic effect: Prophylactic modality of diabetic nephropathy
- Possible improvement of chemotherapeutic efficacy with “complementary” agents in the prognostic status of urological cancers (including prostate, bladder and renal cell carcinomas)
- Investigation of the molecular basis of urological malignancies and exploration of the improved therapeutic modalities with alternative or unconventional agents (e.g., vitamin C, 2-deoxy-glucose, beta-glucan, proanthocyanidin etc.)
- Konno, S., Hsieh, T.C., Wu, J.M., Chen, Y., Chiao, J.W. and Mallouh, C.: Growth control of human prostatic cancer cells by the phorbol ester TPA: Possible involvement of protein kinases. Anticancer Res., 16: 1843-1850, 1996.
- Oya, M., Konno, S., Chen, Y., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Wu, J.M.: Control of cell cycle regulatory proteins and modulation of STAT1 proteins by IFN-g in human prostatic JCA-1 cells. Int. J. Oncol., 10: 835-839, 1997.
- Konno, S., Cherry, J.P., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Chiao, J.W.: Effects of protein kinase and phosphatase inhibitors on the growth of human prostatic cancer cells. Med. Sci. Res., 25: 353-354, 1997.
- Mordente, J.A., Konno, S., Chen, Y., Wu, J.M., Tazaki, H. and Mallouh, C.: The effects of brefeldin A (BFA) on cell cycle progression involving the modulation of the retinoblastoma protein (pRB) in PC-3 prostate cancer cells. J. Urol., 159: 275-279, 1998.
- Mordente, J.A., Cherry, J.P., Chapman, J., Choudhury, M.S., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Konno, S.: The maturation of cathepsin D as a possible predictor of prostate cancer progression. Mol. Urol., 2: 1-5, 1998.
- Konno, S., Mordente, J.A., Chen, Y., Wu, J.M., Tazaki, H. and Mallouh, C.: Effects of brefeldin A on androgen receptor-mediated cellular responses in human prostatic carcinoma LNCaP cells. Mol. Urol., 2: 7-11, 1998.
- Mordente, J.A., Choudhury, M.S., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Konno, S.: Hydrolysis of androgen receptor by cathepsin D: Its biological significance in human prostate cancer. Br. J. Urol., 82: 431-435, 1998.
- Cherry, J.P., Mordente, J.A., Chapman, J.R., Choudhury, M.S., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Konno, S.: Analysis of cathepsin D forms and their clinical implication in human prostate cancer. J. Urol., 160: 2223-2228, 1998.
- Davidson, S.D., Cherry, J.P., Choudhury, M.S., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Konno, S.: Glyoxalase I activity in human prostate cancer: A potential marker and importance in chemotherapy. J. Urol., 161: 690-691, 1999.
- Chapman, J.R., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Konno, S.: Mechanism of brefeldin A-induced growth inhibition and cell death in human prostatic carcinoma cells. Mol. Urol., 3: 11-16, 1999.
- Chapman, J.R., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Konno, S.: Brefeldin A-induced apoptosis in prostatic cancer DU-145 cells: A possible p53-independent death pathway. BJU Int., 83: 703-708, 1999.
- Samadi, A.A., Davidson, S.D., Mordente, J.A., Choudhury, M.S., Tazaki, H., Mallouh, C. and Konno, S.: Differential glycosylation of cellular prostate specific antigen and the regulatory mechanism of its secretion. Mol. Urol., 3: 147-152, 1999.
- Won, J.H., Parekattil, S.J., Davidson, S.D., Luddy, J.S., Choudhury, M.S., Mallouh, C., Tazaki, H. and Konno, S.: Ammonium chloride-induced prostatic hypertrophy in vitro: Urinary ammonia as a potential risk factor for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Urol. Res., 27: 376-381, 1999.
- Milanesa, D.M., Choudhury, M.S., Mallouh, C., Tazaki, H. and Konno, S.: Methylglyoxal-induced apoptosis in human prostate carcinoma: Potential modality for prostate cancer treatment. Eur. Urol., 37: 728-734, 2000.
- Nowzari, F.B., Davidson, S.D., Eshghi, M., Mallouh, C., Tazaki, H. and Konno, S.: Adverse cellular effects of oxidative stress on renal cells and its prevention by antioxidants. Mol. Urol., 4: 15-19, 2000.
- Fullerton, S.A., Samadi, A.A., Tortorelis, D.G., Choudhury, M.S., Mallouh, C., Tazaki, H. and Konno, S.: Induction of apoptosis in human prostatic cancer cells with b-glucan (Maitake mushroom polysaccharide). Mol. Urol., 4: 7-13, 2000.
- Hettiarachchi, J.A., Johnson, G.B., Panageas, E., Drinis, S., Konno, S. and Das, A.K.: Malignant priapism associated with metastatic urethral carcinoma. Urol. Int., 66: 114-116, 2001.
- Drinis, S., Finkelstein, M.P., Tortorelis, D.G., Konno, S. and Choudhury, M.S.: Five-year prognosis after radical prostatectomy in a patient with localized prostate cancer and incidental non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Urol. Int., 66: 105-107, 2001.
- Samadi, A.A., Fullerton, S.A., Tortorelis, D.G., Johnson, G.B., Davidson, S.D., Choudhury, M.S., Mallouh, C., Tazaki, H. and Konno, S.: Glyoxalase I phenotype as a potential risk factor for prostate carcinoma. Urology, 57: 183-187, 2001.
- Konno, S., Cherry, J.P., Mordente, J.A., Chapman, J.R., Choudhury, M.S., Mallouh, C. and Tazaki, H.: Role of cathepsin D in prostate cancer cell growth and its regulation by brefeldin A. World J. Urol. 19: 234-239, 2001.
- Konno, S., Tortorelis, D.G., Fullerton, S.A., Samadi, A.A., Hettiarachchi, J.A. and Tazaki, H.: A possible hypoglycaemic effect of maitake mushroom on type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetic Med., 18: 1010, 2001.
- Finkelstein, M.P., Drinis, S., Tortorelis, D.G., Lafaro, R.J., Konno, S. and Choudhury, M.S.: Recurrence of renal cell carcinoma with extensive vena caval thrombus three years after radical nephrectomy. Urol. Int., 68: 199-201, 2002.
- Davidson, S.D., Milanesa, D.M., Mallouh, C., Choudhury, M.S., Tazaki, H. and Konno, S.: A possible regulatory role of glyoxalase I in cell viability of human prostate cancer. Urol. Res., 30: 116-121, 2002.
- Hettiarachchi, J.A., Samadi, A.A., Konno, S. and Das, A.K.: Holmium laser enucleation for large (>100 ml) prostate glands. Int. J. Urol., 9: 233-236, 2002.
- Aynehchi, S., Samadi, A.A., Gallo, S.J., Konno, S., Tazaki, H. and Eshghi, M.: Salvage extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy after failed distal ureteroscopy. J. Endourol., 16: 355-358, 2002.
- Konno, S., Aynehchi, S., Dolin, D.J., Schwartz, A.M., Choudhury, M.S. and Tazaki, H.: Anticancer and hypoglycemic effects of polysaccharides in edible and medicinal maitake mushroom [Grifola frondosa (Dicks.: Fr.) S.F. Gray]. Int. J. Med. Mushrooms, 4: 185-195, 2002.
- Finkelstein, M.P., Aynehchi, S., Samadi, A.A., Drinis, S., Choudhury, M.S., Tazaki, H. and Konno, S.: Chemosensitization of carmustine with maitake b-glucan on androgen-independent prostatic cancer cells: Involvement of glyoxalase I. J. Altern. Complement. Med., 8: 573-580, 2002.
- Hettiarachchi, J.A., Finkelstein, M.P., Schwartz, A.M., Johnson, G.B., Konno, S. and Choudhury, M.S.: Benign retroperitoneal schwannoma presenting as a giant adrenal tumor. Urol. Int., 71: 231-232, 2003.
- Pyo, P., Louie, B., Rajamahanty, S., Choudhury, M. and Konno, S.: Possible immunotherapeutic potentiation with D-fraction in prostate cancer cells. J. Hematol. Oncol., 1: 25-33, 2008.
- Rajamahanty, S., Louie, B., O’Neill, C., Choudhury, M. and Konno, S.: Possible disease remission in patient with invasive bladder cancer with D-fraction regimen. Int. J. Gen. Med., 2: 15-17, 2009.
- Cang, S., Feng, J., Konno, S., Han, L., Liu, K., Sharma, S.C., Choudhury, M. and Chiao, J.W.: Deficient histone acetylation and excessive deacetylase activity as epigenomic marks of prostate cancer cells. Int. J. Oncol., 35: 1417-1422, 2009.
- Louie, B., Rajamahanty, S., Pyo, P., Choudhury, M. and Konno, S.: Mode of cytotoxic action of nephrotoxic agents: oxidative stress and glutathione-dependent enzyme. BJU Int., 105: 264-268, 2010.
- Rajamahanty, S., Alonzo, C., Aynehchi, S., Choudhury, M. and Konno, S.: Growth inhibition of androgen-responsive prostate cancer cells with brefeldin A targeting cell cycle and androgen receptor. J. Biomed. Sci., 17: 5-10, 2010.
- Louie, B., Rajamahanty, S., Won, J., Choudhury, M. and Konno, S.: Synergistic potentiation of interferon activity with D-fraction on bladder cancer cells. BJU Int., 105: 1011-1015, 2010.
- Davalos, M., Konno, S., Eshghi, M. and Choudhury, M.: Oxidative renal cell injury induced by calcium oxalate crystal and renoprotection with antioxidants: a possible role of oxidative stress in nephrolithiasis. J. Endourol., 24: 339-345, 2010.
- Alexander, B., Fishman, A., Green, D., Choudhury, M. and Konno, S.: Attenuation of androgenic regulation by brefeldin A in androgen-responsive prostate cancer cells. Urol. Oncol. (Accepted for publication, 2010)
- Bobby Alexander, Erin Grantham, John Phillips. “Complications of Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery: Iatrogenic and Doulogenic” in Complications of Laparoscopic and Robotic Urologic Surgery. New York, Berlin, Springer Science, 2010.
- Alexander B, Fishman AI, Green DA, Choudhury MS, Konno S. Attenuation of Androgenic Regulation by Brefeldin A in Androgen-Responsive Prostate Cancer Cells. Urol Oncol. 2011 July 25.
- Freilich DA, Nguyen HT, Phillips JL. “Factors influencing residents’ pursuit of urology fellowships.” Urology. 2011; 78 (5): 986-92.
- Fishman AI, Alexander B, Eshghi M, Choudhury MS, Konno S. Nephrotoxin-Induced Renal Cell Injury Involving Biochemical Alterations and Its Prevention with Antioxidant. J Clin Med Res. April 2012 ;4(2):95-101
- Fishman AI, Johnson B, Won J, Alexander B, Choudhury M, Konno S. Additively Enhanced Antiproliferative Effect of Interferon Combined with Proanthocyanidin on Bladder Cancer Cells. J of Cancer. March 2012; 3: 107-112.
- Grasso M, Fishman AI, Cohen J, Alexander B. Ureteroscopic and Extirpative Treatment of Upper Urinary Tract Urothelial Carcinoma: 15 Year Comprehensive Review of 160 Consecutive Patients. BJU Int. December 2012; 110(11):1618-26.
- Prabharasuth D, Moses KA, Bernstein M, Dalbagni G, Herr H. Bladder Cancer After Renal Transplantation. Urology. 2013, 81: 813-819.
- Moses KA, Bochner BH, Prabharasuth D, Sfakianos JP, Bernstein M, Herr HW, Dalbagni G. Radical Cystectomy and Orthotopic Urinary Reconstruction in Patients with Bladder Cancer following Renal Transplantation: Clinical Outcomes and Description of Technique. Transplant Proc. 2013; 4: 1661-1666.
- Konno S, Alexander B, Freilich D, Choudhury M. Improved Anticancer Effects on Various Cancers with Combinations of Chemotherapeutic Drugs or Vitamin C and D-Fraction. J Cancer Therapy. June 2013; Vol 4 No 4.
- Alexander B, Fishman AI, Eshghi M, Choudhury MS, Konno S. Induction of Cell Death in Renal Cell Carcinoma with Combination of D-fraction and Vitamin C. Integr Cancer Therapies. January 2013.
- Konno S, Alexander B, Freilich D, Choudhury M. "Improved anticancer effects on various cancers with combinations of chemotherapeutic drugs or vitamin C and D-fraction." Journal Cancer Therapy. 2013; 4: 843-50.
“Three Prizes” won at the AUA Urology Resident Essay Contest:
- Third Prize: John A. Mordente. “The modulation of the retinoblastoma (pRB) protein by brefeldin A (BFA) during G1 cell cycle progression in prostate cancer PC-3 cells” (1977)
- Second Prize: Scott D. Davidson. “Life sustaining function of glyoxalase I in human prostate cancer: Role of cell survival” (1999)
- First Prize: John H. Won. “Induction of cell death by vitamin combination in prostate cancer: A Ca2+-dependent death pathway” (2000)
“Twelve Awards” won at the Valentine Urology Resident Essay Contest, including Three-Award Sweep (in the Research Category) in 2011:
- First Place: Andrew I. Fishman. “Prevention of renal ischemia-reperfusion injury by a novel renoprotective cocktail in a rat model”
- Second Place: David A. Green. “Preventative effect of antioxidants on oxidative renal cell injury and the role in renal crystal formation”
- Third Place: Bobby Alexander. “Apoptosis induced by combination of D-fraction and vitamin C in renal cell carcinoma”
- Delivered at the National and International Meetings and Conferences (List available upon request).