The history of the Dermatology Department at New York Medical College begins
in 1873 with Dr. P. E. Arcularius as special lecturer on Dermatology at New York
Homeopathic Medical College and Flower Hospital. Flower Hospital was also the
first hospital affiliate for the department. In 1893, Dr. Henry Dearborn became
lecturer and professor at the College. Dr. Dearborn held clinics at Metropolitan
Hospital beginning in 1896, which also began a long history of affiliation
between New York Medical College and Metropolitan Hospital which continues
today. In 1909, Dr. Dearborn began serving on the Medial Board of Metropolitan
Hospital. In the fifty-seventh annual announcement of the Department of
Education of the New York Homeopathic Medical College, Dr. Dearborn and Dr.
Withington are formally listed as the faculty members of the Department of
Dermatology in 1916. And finally, in 1927, Dr. Dearborn became the head of the
Dr. Dearbornís long history with the Dermatology Department continued until 1940
with the appointment of Dr. Van Alstyne H. Cornell, M. D. listed as the head of
the Dermatology Department; and in 1943, Dr. Dearborn became Professor Emeritus.
In 1948, Dr. Eugene Frederick Traub, M. D; became the Director of the
Dermatology Department and also Director of Dermatology Service at Metropolitan
Hospital, and Dr. Van Alstyne H. Cornell became Professor Emeritus as well. In
1956, Dr. Dearborn became a member of the Board of Trustees of the New York
Medical College and Flower and Fifth Avenue Hospital. And in the same year, Dr.
Joseph L. Morse, M. D. became Director of the Department of Dermatology.
Dr. Morse continued as Director of the Department until 1968 when Dr. Edward
Mandel, M. D. became Director and Clinical Professor of the Department. In 1971,
classes were held in Westchester and New York City. In 1972; Dr. Mandel
formally became the Chairman of the Dermatology Department. Over the years,
hospital affiliations for the department expanded to include Bayley Seton
Hospital and Lincoln Medical Center. In 1985, Dr. Morse, became Professor
Emeritus. In 1987, after the passing of Dr. Mandel, Dr. Richard H. Lever, M D;
who was also Chairman of the Department of Medicine, became the Acting Chairman
of the Department of Dermatology. Dr. Lever continued as Acting Chairman until
1991 when Dr. Maureen B. Poh, M. D. became Acting Chairman of the department.
Dr. Maureen Poh remained the Acting Chairman until 1993 when Dr. Bijan Safai, M.
D. was selected to be the Chairman of the Department. 1n 1995, the Dermatology
Department no longer associated with Lincoln Medical Center, in 2003, Bayley
Seton Hospital closed its doors, and in 2005, Westchester Medical Center was
also no longer a participant hospital of the department. Today the Dermatology
Department holds affiliations with Metropolitan Hospital and Montefiore
Medical Center-North. For more information on the history of the Dermatology
Department at New York Medical College, please view the history timeline.