Why Choose the Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences?
With a beautiful location, close ties to New York Medical College’s School of Medicine and a rigorous, experiential curriculum, there are many reasons to choose the Graduate School for a Master’s or doctorate degree. These include:
- Individualized attention. With a low student-faculty ratio—about 2:1 when all enrolled students are considered— students receive an extraordinary level of individual attention from instructors and advisors. Our largest core courses include between 30 and 50 students, while many of the advanced courses have fewer than 15 students.
- Exceptional faculty. Our faculty comprises 90 experienced educators and investigators with national and international reputations. All have terminal degrees (99% doctorates) and are on the cutting edge of research in their respective fields.
- Groundbreaking research. New York Medical College attracts more than $30 million annually in external funding for biomedical research projects. The Graduate School’s basic science departments currently house an NIH program project grant and numerous other well-funded research programs.
- State-of-the-art resources. Graduate School students have access to a number of advanced, fully equipped physical resources, including:
- Research laboratories that offer state-of-the-art investigative equipment that provides the capacity for protein sequencing, mass spectometry, gas or liquid (HPLC) chromatography, confocal and intravital microscopy, cell cytometry, stem cell studies, phosphorimaging, molecular modeling, a variety of genomics techniques including DNA sequencing (Illumina MiSeq) and transcriptome analysis, in vivo physiological monitoring, and other advanced research techniques.
- Comparative Medicine Facility (accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care) that provides excellent housing and husbandry for research animals. Specialized accommodations for large, small and pathogen-free animals are available. Several small procedure rooms are also available for sterile surgery, diagnostic testing and veterinary treatment.
- Health Sciences Library containing an extensive collection of periodicals and books relevant to the medical science disciplines. Online computer databases and journals allow remote access to the current scientific literature, gene libraries, factual reference material and other retrievable information. An expanding collection of videotapes, software and other educational material is available for student use.
- We are located on an attractive, wooded and safe 54-acre suburban campus in Westchester County, NY. Our immediate area offers ample shopping and entertainment options. Because we are located in the scenic lower Hudson River Valley, just a short distance from the shoreline of Long Island Sound, and only 25 miles from midtown Manhattan (New York City), outstanding recreational and cultural opportunities abound.