Prerequisite Courses for Speech-Language Pathology
The following are two sets of the prerequisite course requirements. Prerequisite courses do not need to completed in order to apply to the program. However, all prerequisite courses must be satisfactorily completed prior to starting the program and within approximately 10 years of the application deadline (exceptions may be made for individuals who work in a health field).
ASHA Prerequisites Requirements
- Biological Science - at least one course - acceptable courses in biological sciences should emphasize a content area related to human or animal sciences (e.g., biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science).
- Physical Sciences - at least one course - acceptable courses in physics or chemistry. Courses in biological and physical sciences specifically related to communication sciences and disorders (CSD) may not be applied.
- Statistics - at least one course - research methodology courses in communication sciences and disorders may not be used to satisfy the statistics requirement.
- Social Sciences - at least two courses - acceptable course include psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health.
- At least one course in phonetics - with phonetics transcription component.
Department of Speech-Languge Pathology Prerequisite Requirements
- One course in phonetics with phonetics transcription component.
- One course in anatomy and physiology of speech or speech-hearing.
- One course in child development/child language development.
- Courses devoted to the teaching of any of the above topics (teacher education courses) may not be used to satisfy these requirements.
Applicants may contact the Admissions Office with specific questions about whether certain courses meet the prerequisite requirements at 914-594-4510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.