New York Medical College

Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences

Prospective Students


Click here to Apply Online

Fellowships and Assistantships

Graduate School fellowships are available to a limited number of outstanding Ph.D. students. Fellowships include a full waiver of tuition and a stipend for living expenses. Selection is based upon academic achievement and the recommendation of the program faculty. Recipients must enroll as full-time students or be certified by their program as full-time (12 credit hours or the equivalent each semester). Partial fellowships involving only tuition waivers are also offered.

There is no application form for fellowships. All Ph.D. applicants are considered for these appointments. Fellowships are awarded on an annual basis and are dependent upon continued academic progress. Stipend payments (for living expenses) are paid on a two-weekly basis. The first check, however, may be delayed for up to four weeks, depending upon when the date of appointment falls within the payroll cycle. Therefore, new students should have sufficient funds available to cover their living expenses in this interim period.

Research assistantships are also available to full-time Ph.D. students for work on funded research projects. The Dean’s letter of admission will outline the terms of the fellowship and/or assistantship being offered to the applicant.

In general, no fellowship support is available for Master’s students. A very limited number of tuition scholarships are available. These may be offered to applicants or enrolled students based on merit. There are no application forms. Research assistantships may also be available to Master’s students in individual research laboratories, pending the availability of research support funds. Placement in such positions must be secured by the student on his or her own initiative, and is not part of the Graduate School admissions process.

There are a variety of external scholarship and fellowship opportunities that are available. A list of known scholarship, fellowship and grant programs is available from the Graduate School, the Office of Research Administration, and the College’s Web site

Financial Aid

A variety of subsidized and unsubsidized loans are available to support tuition and living expenses. There are both enrollment and financial need requirements. In general, students must be matriculated in a degree program and carry a full-time academic load to be eligible for complete financial aid. Students with a less than full-time academic load may be eligible for partial financial aid. Financial need is determined by the information supplied in the FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), which is available from the College’s Office of Student Financial Planning.

Applicants are encouraged to visit the College’s Student Financial Planning Web site for more information.

A limited number of work-study positions are also available to eligible students. Application should be made through the Office of Student Financial Planning.

International students are not eligible for student loans or government-supported work-study programs.


A limited number of housing units on campus are available to graduate students. Units are available for single or married students. It is available on a first-come, first-served basis, although preference is given to Ph.D. students, international students, and current students. The Office of Student Housing also maintains a database on off-campus housing, and will provide guidance in seeking off-campus housing. Please refer to the Housing section of this Bulletin for more information.

New students who choose to live off-campus should be aware that they will generally be required to pay a security deposit of up to two-month’s rent, in addition to the first month’s rent, upon signing a lease.

Proof of Immunization

Under New York State law, all students born on or after January 1, 1957 are required to show proof of vaccination against measles, mumps, and rubella. The law requires that a school exclude from enrollment or attendance any student who does not produce evidence of immunity for each disease.

The Student Immunization Record form, signed by a physician or nurse, must be completed, specifying the immunizations received and the dates on which they were administered. Lab results showing titers, if available, should be attached. New students should submit this form to the Graduate School Admissions Office before registering for classes.

Exemptions from this rule are allowed in certain specific situations, such as a valid medical reason or religious belief. Further information can be obtained from the Admissions Office.

Physical Examination and Health History

All Ph.D. students and those full-time Master’s students who elect to utilize the Student Health Services and the student group medical insurance plan must provide the results of a physical examination taken within the 12 months prior to initial enrollment at the College. A reporting form, which should be completed by the examining physician, will be mailed to all new students along with the offer of admission. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the required information and test results. If the applicant does not have results of a recent physical exam or the required lab tests, Student Health Services will perform these tests upon the student’s arrival on campus. The student will be charged for these tests, however. These charges are not waived for Ph.D. students and are not included in any fellowship award.

Medical Insurance and Proof of Insurance Coverage

It is Graduate School policy that all full-time Ph.D. students and all matriculated international students must have personal health insurance coverage. Full-time Master’s and Ph.D. students are eligible to enroll in a student group hospitalization and medical insurance plan through the College (described elsewhere in this Bulletin under Student Services). Full-time Ph.D. students and international students who elect not to participate in this plan must provide proof of hospitalization and medical insurance coverage prior to registration. Any external coverage must be acceptable to the College.

As noted, all matriculated students who are enrolled on a full-time basis are eligible to enroll in the College’s student hospitalization and medical insurance plan. Those who elect to participate in this plan are also required to register for the Student Health Services. The insurance premium for individual coverage and the Student Health Services fee are waived for Ph.D. students on College fellowships. Master’s students must pay these costs. Family insurance coverage is also available at the student’s expense. This expense is not covered in the College’s Ph.D. fellowship package. Student Health Services are available only to students, not their families.

Tuition and Fees Budget

The link below leads to the current tuition and fees budget. The budget reflects the minimum amount needed to attend the Graduate School as a full-time student for one year. It is based on a full-time Master’s student load of 8 academic credits each semester. Benchmark expenses are applicable for the 2006-07 academic year. These are the minimum expenses that international students must be able to meet. They are also a starting point for estimation of student loan eligibility.

Student Activities

The College provides opportunities for its students to participate in a wide range of academic, cultural, social, and athletic activities. The student, faculty and staff publication, In Touch, contains announcements of upcoming activities and notices of importance to all members of the College community. There is a Student Lounge in the Basic Sciences Building that has a pool table, a ping-pong table and a giant screen TV. A basketball court and soccer field are adjacent to the Basic Sciences Building.

Graduate Student Association

The Graduate School Association is an integral component of the Graduate School. Officers are elected annually and a diversified program is offered, including student advocacy on a variety of social, academic and professional issues relevant to the graduate student membership. Annually, the Graduate Student Association organizes a full-day forum based on oral and poster presentations of student-conducted research. The Forum also features a plenary lecture by a noted scientist invited specifically for the event. Graduate Student Association representatives participate in meetings of the Graduate Faculty Council, the academic governing body of the Graduate School, and various Graduate School and University committees. Other activities during the past several years include the establishment of a Graduate Student Loan Fund, joint programs with the Medical Student Senate, Assistance to International Students, a student handbook and a variety of picnics, outings, and other social functions.

Graduate Student Association activities are supported from the Student Activity fee.

Clubs and Organizations

Listed below are some of the clubs and organizations that are in existence for this academic year that may be of interest to graduate students. Please contact the Graduate School Office for further information.

  • Biking Club
  • Catholic Student Association
  • Christian Fellowship
  • Intramural Football Club
  • Jewish Student Association
  • NYMC Physical Fitness Club
  • Running Club
  • South Asian Medical Student Association (SAMSA)
  • Softball League
  • Wine Tasting Club


Read enough?

Convinced that at the Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences, "your breakthrough in science occurs here!" then click here to jump to our application site.