New York Medical College

Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences

Academic Regulations


Student Code of Academic Integrity and Professionalism

Academic integrity and professionalism is essential in any educational endeavor and it is expected at all times from both students and faculty. By accepting admission to the Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences, a student commits to the ideals, ethics and conduct of the profession of medical science. Honesty, integrity and respect in all interactions with colleagues and teachers are additional essential professional attributes. View the Student Code of Academic Integrity and Professionalism.

Confidentiality of Student Records and Public Information Policy

It is the policy of New York Medical College to protect information contained in students' records from unauthorized disclosures and to comply in all respects with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and its associated regulations. For the complete FERPA policy and list of directory information, click here.

Enrollment Status

Student status (full-time, part-time, half-time, leave of absence) is determined on a semester basis for the Fall and Spring terms. Registration is not required during the summer academic session. Students must be matriculated in a degree program in order to be considered full-time. The GSBMS Dean shall be the final authority in determining student status in individual cases.

Full-time Status

To be eligible for loan deferments and financial aid, students must either be in full-time status or be undertaking a sufficient part-time load. Only full-time students are eligible for on-campus housing, Student Health Services or student medical insurance. International students on F-1 visas must be engaged in a full-time program in order to maintain their visa status.

A student is considered to be in full-time status according to the conditions outlined in the following sections.

Ph.D. students

Ph.D. students are full-time if registered for 12 credits or engaged in an equivalent level of approved academic activity, such as laboratory research training or dissertation research.

M.S. students

M.S. students are full-time under the following conditions:

  1. if registered for 8 credits
  2.  in the last semester of study, if registered for at least 1 academic credit and if all degree program requirements will be fulfilled at the successful completion of the semester’s program of study. The student must have been in full-time status for at least the prior active semester. It is intended that this classification is to be used no more than once per student per degree.
  3. if registered for at least one academic credit for Master’s thesis research while engaged full-time in a research project as part of a Plan B Master’s program. This classification requires that all other program requirements will be fulfilled at the successful completion of the semester’s program of study. This classification may be used for no more than two semesters per degree.
  4. if registered for at least 6 credits, but for fewer than 8 because of a lack of course offerings appropriate to the student’s program of study. Approved academic activity equivalent to the number of missing credits must be undertaken in order to qualify for full-time status under this classification.
  5. an international student on a student visa, if registered for fewer than 8 credits because of language difficulties. This classification may be invoked only in the first semester of graduate study.


Any Master’s student who wishes to be considered in full-time status under the conditions outlined in paragraphs (b) through (e) must complete a Certification of Full-time Status Form at the time of registration. The completed form must be signed by both the student and the graduate program director. Any documentation required should be attached to the form. The dean decides whether the student qualifies for full-time status under the provisions of this policy.

Part-time and Half-time Students

Students who are not full-time are considered part-time or half-time, based on the number of credits relative to the nominal full-time load of 12 credits for Ph.D. programs and 8 credits for M.S. programs.

Non-matriculated students

Non-matriculated students may enroll for a maximum of 2 courses (6 credits) per semester and for a “lifetime” maximum of twelve credits. The dean has the authority to waive the limit for non-matriculant students in good academic standing, if there is sufficient justification for such a waiver. Non-matriculants in good standing (GPA of 3.00 or better) who wish to matriculate should apply to the program of their choice before completing 12 credits.


Students may register as auditors for courses in the evening division of the Graduate School upon receiving written permission from the instructor of the course. The designation of auditor must be listed on the Registration Form. The student must pay full tuition and fees. No credit or grade will be awarded for an audited course, but the course will appear on the student’s academic record with an audit notation (AUD) in the grade column.

Students from other colleges and universities

Students enrolled in a graduate degree program at another institution may register for credit in courses of the Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences. It is necessary that such a student provide a letter from the dean of his/her school certifying that the student is in good standing, and that the course to be taken will be credited towards a graduate degree at the parent institution.

Students enrolled in an accredited undergraduate institution may register for credit in selected graduate courses upon approval of their undergraduate dean, the Dean of the Graduate School, and the course director.

Ph.D. students, Master’s students, and non-matriculants may enroll in all courses offered in the evening program. Certain daytime courses are limited to Ph.D. students only.

Continuous Enrollment

Matriculated students must maintain continuous enrollment until all degree requirements are completed. Students can maintain their matriculation status during all Fall and Spring terms either by (a) enrolling in one or more courses or (b) paying the $438 maintenance of matriculation fee, the $15 student activity fee, the $5 network access fee, and the $25 general fee (total tuition and fees = $483) during the normal registration period. (The $438 maintenance of matriculation fee is waived for full time Ph.D. students who receive tuition remission.) Registration for Summer terms is not required. Registration for Summer terms is not required. Non-matriculated students do not have to maintain continuous enrollment.

Students who fail to register for one or two consecutive semesters must be reinstated before continuing their pursuit of a degree. Reinstatement is not guaranteed. Reinstatement requires submission of a letter from the student explaining his/her failure to maintain continuous enrollment. If the explanation is accepted by the Dean and the student’s academic standing and progress-to-date are acceptable, the student will be reinstated upon payment of the Reinstatement Fee ($100), plus whatever tuition and fees are appropriate for the semester of reinstatement. The Reinstatement Fee is payable by both Master’s and Ph.D. students.

If the student fails to register for three (or more) consecutive semesters, that student’s matriculation shall be discontinued. For such a student to resume pursuit of a degree, he/she must apply for readmission and pay a Reapplication Fee ($150). The Reapplication Fee is payable by both Master’s and Ph.D. students. The student must provide a written statement explaining the interruption of studies and justifying his/her readmission. Readmission is not guaranteed.

Restoration of fellowship or scholarship support after a lapse in continuous enrollment is not guaranteed, despite a favorable decision on any petition for reinstatement or readmission.

Leave of Absence

Graduate students are allowed a Leave of Absence for a period of up to one year with the approval of the appropriate graduate program director or department chairperson and the Dean of the Graduate School. A Leave of Absence form must be submitted to the Registrar.

Time spent on an approved Leave of Absence will not be counted against the time limit during which a degree program must be completed. Matriculants seeking a Leave of Absence should apply no later than one week prior to the first day of classes of the term during which they wish to begin their Leave of Absence. If a student seeks to initiate a leave of absence during a semester, it will normally become official at the beginning of the next semester. If the student must interrupt studies immediately in the midst of a semester, the normal rules governing withdrawal from ongoing courses would apply.

If the student returns upon the expiration of the approved Leave of Absence, he or she is automatically reinstated. If, however, the student does not return until a subsequent semester, he or she will need to submit an Application for Readmission. Readmission to the program after an absence of more than one year is not guaranteed. Restoration of fellowship support after any leave of absence, except for approved medical reasons, is not guaranteed.

It is not possible to receive a degree while on Leave of Absence.

Changes In Enrollment Status

Non-matriculants in good standing who wish to enter a degree program, matriculants who wish to transfer from one Master’s or Ph.D. program to another, and matriculants who wish to transfer from the Master’s program to the Ph.D. program or vice versa should read the Admission Procedures section of the Bulletin and then consult the Graduate School Admissions Office for guidance.

Withdrawal from a Program

In the event a student wishes to withdraw from any program, the student must notify the graduate program director and the dean in writing. The program director and the dean will advise the student of his or her academic options before a leave of absence or permanent withdrawal is effected. A Leave of Absence form or a Withdrawal from Institution form, whichever is appropriate, should also be completed and signed by the student, program director, and dean.

Residency and Time Limits

Residence Requirement

Residence is defined in terms of course credits and not according to elapsed time. The residency requirements exist to ensure that any degree awarded by the Graduate School is based predominantly on academic activities undertaken by the student at New York Medical College. A minimum of 24 credits in residence in the Graduate School is required for attainment of the Master’s degree and a minimum of 48 (including at least 33 course credits and 15 research credits) in residence are required for the doctorate.

Transfer of Credits

Credits for courses taken at other schools may be transferred and counted towards the student's degree requirements in both the M.S. and Ph.D. programs, subject to the following provisions. Such courses must be judged to represent valid contributions to the student's program of study. Only graduate level courses from accredited universities or academic institutions may be transferred. A minimum grade of B for courses in the student's major field, or a minimum grade of C for courses in a minor concentration is required. The student must submit a Transfer of Credits form and must also supply further documentation about the course proposed for transfer, including the course syllabus and the assigned textbook or reading list. An official transcript must be sent directly to the GSBMS office from the institution offering the course(s). The program director determines the suitability and credit value of the proposed transfer credits with regard to the student’s program of study. The dean authorizes the transfer if it meets the Graduate School’s rules outlined herein.

Only matriculated students can transfer credits. Master’s students can transfer a maximum of 6 credits towards their M.S. degree requirements. Ph.D. students can transfer a maximum of 12 credits towards their Ph.D. degree requirements. Transfer of credits can occur only after the satisfactory completion of 12 credit hours in residence in the Graduate School. Transfer credits earned more than 10 years before the date of graduation from NYMC cannot be used to fulfill GSBMS degree requirements except as specified in Graduate School rules. Transferred credits do not carry their grade with them and, thus, do not contribute to the student’s GPA at NYMC.

Time Limits for Completion of Degree Requirements

The requirements for the degree of Master of Science must be completed within five years following matriculation. Credits earned prior to becoming a matriculated student may be used to meet degree requirements, provided the ten-year limit on individual courses (see below) is not exceeded.

The requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy must be completed within the following specified time limits following matriculation into the Ph.D. program.

  1. seven years, if the student matriculates directly into a Ph.D. program upon enrollment at NYMC.
  2. five years, if the student matriculates into a Ph.D. program after having completed a Master of Science degree in the same discipline at NYMC, or after having completed all degree requirements for the Master of Science degree except for the Master’s Thesis or Literature Review, or after having earned at least 30 didactic credits at NYMC that may be applied to the Ph.D. requirements.
  3. six years, if the student matriculates into a Ph.D. program after having earned at least 16, but not more than 29, didactic credits at NYMC that may be applied to the Ph.D. degree requirements, whether as a Master’s degree student or as a non-matriculated student.
  4. five years for students in the M.D./Ph.D. program.


If a student does not complete the degree requirements within the specified time limit, the student may petition to be allowed to continue in the program. Such petition may be granted upon the joint consent of the student’s graduate faculty and the dean. When a student makes such a petition to extend the time limit, or whenever it becomes apparent that the student will be unable or unlikely to complete the degree requirements within the specified time limit, the dean shall appoint a special supervisory committee to oversee the student’s progress. This committee shall be composed of at least three graduate faculty from the student’s program or department, and at least one graduate faculty from outside the program or department. In the case of a Ph.D. student, the dissertation committee may be asked to serve this role. The committee will assess the student’s progress and recommend either for or against an extension. If the committee supports an extension, it may recommend specific actions that the student should take in order to improve the likelihood of timely completion of the degree requirements. The recommendation of the committee will be weighted heavily by the dean in the decision to approve a time limit extension. Any extension of the time limit must be reviewed at least once each semester.

For the purpose of this rule, the matriculation date is the semester of initial registration after being accepted into the program. The base unit of time is the semester. Thus, one year equals two semesters. The summer term is considered an extension of the preceding Spring term or the succeeding Fall term, and is not counted as a separate semester in calculating time limits. (The Ph.D. time limit rule applies to all students who began a Ph.D. program in January 2000 or thereafter.)

Ten-Year Limit On Courses

Because scientific knowledge changes so rapidly, only courses completed within the previous ten years shall be counted towards fulfillment of the degree requirements for any degree. The course and grade shall remain on the student's official transcript and contribute to the GPA, but the grade shall be annotated to indicate that it does not count towards fulfillment of degree requirements. At an individual program’s option, an examination may be offered for the purpose of confirming a student's mastery of up-to-date knowledge in a particular field, thereby retaining credit for a specific course taken more than 10 years previously. The ten-year limit also applies to courses that have been completed at another university and transferred to the student’s academic record at NYMC. (The 10-year rule applies to students matriculating in the Spring 1994 semester or thereafter.)

System of Grades

The system of grades and quality points assigned to each grade is as follows:


Quality Points per Credit Hour

















F (Failure)


P (Pass)


In addition, the following special “grades” or notations will be assigned to students in the categories outlined below:










Grade Not Received

Course Audit

Students who do not wish to register for credit may register as auditors in accordance with the following conditions:

  1. Formal registration and payment of full tuition and fees;
  2. Consent of the instructor and consent of the student's advisor or program director in the case of matriculating students;
  3. Adequate classroom and laboratory space.


The student will receive a special grade of AUD (audit) for the course. Participation is limited for auditing; students need not take exams or submit assigned material. No credit will be awarded for an audited course, but the course will appear on the student’s academic record.


Courses in which the student’s performance has not yet been fully evaluated owing to a missing assignment or an examination that was missed for a valid and acceptable reason will be assigned a grade of INC. The student must complete the work within one year or the INC will be changed automatically to an F. An exception to this rule is that the Master’s Literature Review and Master’s Thesis courses may retain the grade of INC until the task is completed or the student is no longer matriculated in the program. In the latter case, the INC will be changed to a W (Withdrawal).

A student who is unable to complete a course for valid reasons (poor health, major change in job location, etc.) must submit to the course instructor a formal request to defer completion of the course work. If the reason is deemed appropriate, the student will receive the grade INC (Incomplete) for the course. When the required work is completed, the appropriate grade will replace INC. An INC must be corrected within one year or a grade of "F" will be assigned. In general, a student must complete a substantial portion of the semester (usually two-thirds of the semester or more), to qualify for a grade of INC. Withdrawal is the appropriate action for a student who must discontinue participation in a course before completing two-thirds of the semester. A student who withdraws from a class without formal notification to the Registrar or who stops participating without authorization will receive a failing grade (F).

Make-up Examination Policy

A student who misses a final exam because of a valid reason, shall be permitted to take a make-up exam within three weeks after the term has ended.

Changes In Course Status: Drops and Withdrawals

Students who initially register for credit in a course and request a change in status will be advised by the course instructor as to the available and appropriate options. All changes for matriculated students must be approved by the program director and official notification of the change must be provided to the Registrar. It is also the student’s responsibility to initiate this notification by completing and signing the Notice of Course Change form.

If a student withdraws before the drop/add deadline (i.e., the close of the drop/add period) by submitting formal notification at that time to the Registrar, no grade will be assigned for that course and the course will not appear on the student’s academic record. The drop/add period extends to a specific date, generally two weeks after the start of a regular semester or one week after the start of a Summer term, that is posted in the academic calendar. Students who withdraw after the drop/add deadline but before the withdrawal deadline will receive one of the following grades (W or W/F):

Withdraw (W): This grade will be assigned to students who withdraw with a passing grade, before any test grades have been recorded, or before 50% of the final grade has been determined.

Withdraw/Failing (W/F): A student who withdraws with a failing average after more than 50% of the final grade has been determined will be assigned the grade W/F. The weights of mid-term and final exams and other class assignments towards the final grade vary greatly from course to course. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of the grading policy in each course.

Students will not be allowed to withdraw from courses after the withdrawal deadline, a specific date posted in the academic calendar, which generally is set 10 weeks after the start of a regular semester or 6 weeks after the start of a summer term. Withdrawals after the withdrawal deadline will be permitted only after direct petition to the dean. Approval will be dependent upon extraordinary circumstances.

Repeated Courses

Students may repeat certain courses in order to improve a grade or because the original course had been taken more than ten years previously. The new course and the new grade will appear on the student's transcript and, if a letter grade, be included in calculating the GPA. The original course and grade will remain on the student's transcript, but will be annotated to indicate that this grade is no longer included in the GPA. A student may repeat a specific course only once.

Calculation of GPA

A unit of credit represents one hour of classroom contact per week for one semester (15 weeks) or two or more hours of formal laboratory work per week for one semester. In courses offered during Summer sessions, a unit of credit represents the equivalent amount of classroom or laboratory work although it may be scheduled as more hours per week for fewer weeks. The credit value of each course is indicated in the course catalog.

Grade Point Average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of a student's earned quality points by the total number of graded credits attempted.



Credit hours


Grade Points


Quality Points

























The GPA for this student is 3.19 (31.9 divided by 10).

Pass grades ("P") and grades for transferred credits are not included in a student's GPA calculation, but may be counted towards fulfillment of degree requirements. Failing grades ("F") are included in GPA calculations, even for courses graded on a pass/fail basis. Failed courses cannot be used towards fulfillment of degree requirements. Repeated courses (i.e., the original attempt) are excluded from the GPA. Grades of INC, W, W/F, AUD and GNR are not included in the GPA.

Academic Standing

New Policy on Good Academic Standing, Satisfactory Academic Progress, and Academic Probation

All GSBMS students should be aware that, effective immediately, we have a new policy re-defining what constitutes good academic standing and satisfactory academic progress.  As part of this new policy, the conditions under which students are placed on academic probation are re-defined, and a new condition – academic warning – has been created.    These new rules have particular importance with respect to a student’s eligibility for continued financial aid (i.e., student loans), so it is imperative that you understand this new policy and its implications.

The entire policy will soon be available online in the Academic Regulations chapter of the GSBMS Bulletin.  We anticipate that this will be accessible online in early August.  Until then, hard copies of the policy may be viewed in the GSBMS office, and this memo will serve as a summary of the policy.

In essence, a student maintains both good academic standing and satisfactory academic progress by (a) maintaining a grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better and (b) fulfilling the various degree requirements in timely fashion.  This latter criterion refers to passing qualifying exams, forming appropriate dissertation, thesis or literature review committees, progressing in laboratory or literature research, submitting drafts and final versions of dissertations, theses or literature reviews, etc.  It also refers to taking the appropriate courses or exams needed to complete degree requirements or rectify “incomplete” grades, and so forth.

Students who fall short in either category – GPA or timely fulfillment – will be placed in one of two academic deficiency categories.  These are academic warning and academic probation.  In general, a warning signifies a milder academic deficiency than does probation.  For Master’s students, GPA will be the most common item that determines academic standing.  The thresholds for warning and probation status are credit-dependent.  That is, the more credits you have earned, the higher the minimum GPA you will need to avoid being placed on probation.

Number of credits earned

GPA = Academic Warning

GPA = Academic Probation

10 or fewer

2.50 – 2.99

< 2.50

11 - 20

2.70 – 2.99

< 2.70

21 or more

2.80 – 2.99

< 2.80

The same GPA standards apply to PhD students.  In addition, the “timely fulfillment” items, which apply more in the case of PhD students and to a lesser extent for Master’s students, also fall into the category of warning level and probation level issues, depending upon their severity.

Consequences of being placed on academic warning or academic probation
Students placed on academic warning or academic probation must meet with their program director and file a specific action plan designed to address their academic deficiencies before they will be allowed to register for any subsequent semester.  This plan will be reviewed after each semester, and modified if necessary.

As is true currently, when you fall out of good academic standing, you have one academic year to remedy your deficiencies and regain good academic standing or you will be subject to dismissal from the program and the Graduate School.  If, however, you make good progress towards remedying your GPA deficiency, you may be allowed to continue your studies beyond the year’s grace period.  On the other hand, students who have been in warning status for 2 semesters but have failed to make adequate progress to rectify their academic deficiencies may be downgraded to academic probation as a result.  Students whose GPA falls further during the period that they are on academic warning or academic probation, or who fail to maintain semester GPA’s of at least 3.00, fail courses, or withdraw from an excessive number of courses during this period are also subject to downgraded status or dismissal.

Note also that a student who is placed on academic probation  is at risk for losing eligibility for continued student financial aid.  The student will retain eligibility for the first semester on probation, but will be ineligible if probation continues into a second semester.  In essence, this means that a student placed on academic probation must at least raise his or her GPA to the warning level by the end of one semester in order to be able to continue with student loan procurement for the following semester.

Notification and Right of Appeal
Students who have been placed on academic warning or academic probation will be notified of this by campus e-mail and letter.  This is only a courtesy, however.  Their status is the result of their record, not the result of receipt of a letter.

Students have the right to appeal these designations on the basis of extraordinary circumstances.  The Graduate School Appeals Board process is the appropriate mechanism for such appeals.


Failure to maintain good academic standing as defined above is cause for dismissal from the Graduate School, unless the student's program director recommends to the dean that the student be placed on probation. Upon approval of probation by the dean, a written notice shall be sent by the dean to the student and to the graduate program director of the department. Failure to correct the deficiency within one year after the written notice will result in dismissal from the Graduate School.

At the end of each semester those students who have failed a course, received a grade of "C" or lower in a core course, or been recommended for probation by failing to maintain a minimally acceptable GPA (see above), will be notified in writing by the dean of the Graduate School that they have been placed on probation. Copies of this notice will be sent to the student's graduate program director. Students should be aware that the written notice from the dean is only a courtesy. Failure to maintain good academic standing automatically places a student on probation or makes the student liable for dismissal.

In general, a failed course or a core course for which a grade of "C" or lower was received should be repeated to rectify the initial reason for probation. In those cases in which a student has failed a course given only in alternate years, some arrangement must be made among the student, his/her advisor, the graduate program director and the dean for removing this unsatisfactory grade or addressing the academic deficiency other than by repeating the course. This may involve a period of independent study by the student and a substantive comprehensive examination of the student’s mastery of the course material. In general, no useful purpose is served by placing a student on probation for as long as two years. Completing a similar course at another institution may be recommended in order to fulfill a requirement unmet by the sub-par performance in a course taken in residence but cannot be used to satisfy a GPA deficiency.

A student on academic probation must maintain the minimum standards of the Graduate School during the probationary period. If the student performs unsatisfactorily during this period – e.g., fails a course or earns a semester GPA below 3.00, or withdraws from courses because of sub-par academic performance, he/she may be subject to immediate dismissal by the dean. A student on probation who wishes to change majors by transferring to another department and, thereby, eliminate the academic deficiency may do so only by formally applying to the Graduate School.

The dean will review the performance of each student on probation at the end of each semester. If any action is necessary, the dean shall take it at this time; otherwise the dean shall wait until the end of the probationary year before notifying the student, the student's advisor and the graduate program director as to whether the student is removed from probation or dismissed from the Graduate School.

Disciplinary Action for Unacceptable Conduct

Students are subject to disciplinary action, including suspension or dismissal, because of unacceptable conduct. Serious violation of the principles of honesty and integrity are grounds for disciplinary action. Inappropriate behavior towards other members of the university community may also constitute grounds for disciplinary action. If such violations or behavior are brought to the attention of the dean, the dean will investigate and provide the accused student a chance to refute the charges, if necessary. When the integrity of research or the safety of individuals is at possible immediate risk, the dean may suspend the accused student from any or all academic activities or privileges while the matter is being investigated.

Official letters of dismissal shall be sent by the dean upon the recommendation of, or after conferring with, the student's graduate program director. A student may appeal a decision for dismissal from the Graduate School. A written request is to be submitted to the dean within two weeks after the written notice of dismissal. The dean will then convene the Graduate School Appeals Board to consider the student’s appeal. Until final action is taken, the student will continue as a matriculant. A copy of the rules governing the procedures of the Graduate School Appeals Board may be obtained from the Graduate School Office.


Degrees are conferred in May at the College’s annual Commencement. In order to be eligible for graduation, students must either be enrolled in courses or maintain matriculation during the semester in which they actually complete the degree requirements.

Each semester with registration materials, the Registrar’s Office sends a notice to all currently enrolled students regarding deadline dates and instructions for completing and submitting an Application of Graduation form. It is the student’s responsibility to submit this form by the deadline which is December 1st (or the next workday if December 1st falls on a weekend) for May graduation. Failure to do so could result in postponement of graduation.

Please refer to the General Degree Requirements and to the specific program requirements sections of this Bulletin for further information on the number of credits required for the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of the specific requirements for his or her intended degree. Although specific requirements may be waived in certain cases, such proposals from the program director must be approved by the dean and the Academic Standards Committee of the Graduate Faculty. If there is any uncertainty about the degree requirements or proposed waivers, the student is encouraged to raise the issue with the dean. Such issues should be addressed with sufficient time to rectify any problems – i.e., before the start of the student’s final year or final semester of study.

All degrees awarded by the Graduate School require submission and approval of a dissertation, thesis or literature review. Guidelines for the preparation and formatting of these documents are available from the Graduate School Office and on the GSBMS website. The approved final version of a student’s Master’s Thesis, Master’s Literature Review or Doctoral Dissertation must be submitted to the Graduate School office by April 15th.

Students who complete thesis degree requirements too late to graduate in May must reapply for graduation in the following year by December 1st. The graduation fee does not have to be paid a second time. Upon request, the dean will write a letter on a student’s behalf explaining that the student has met degree requirements and will receive a diploma at the next Commencement of the university.

Students who receive an M.S. degree and subsequently apply to receive a Ph.D. degree will be charged a separate graduation fee for each degree.

Waiver of Regulations

The Graduate School recognizes that there may be extraordinary circumstances where the enforcement of a deadline or regulation would create a clear and undue hardship for a student. Under such circumstances, a request for a waiver of regulations may be made in writing to the Dean of the Graduate School by the student or the graduate program director.


Page updated: April 2, 2015