(Prepared November, 1986, Finalized March 5, 1987 - Revised September 13, 1994, November 12, 1998, April 6, 2000, October 29, 2015)
Article I - Name
The name of this organization shall be The New York Medical College Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences Graduate Student Association (GSBMS-GSA).
Article II - Purpose
- To provide a means of communication between individual graduate students and a forum for the discussion of mutual problems.
- To provide an instrument through which graduate students can express to the administration their reactions to policies and conditions of the College.
- To provide a vehicle through which graduate students can participate in the formation of the policies of the College.
- To provide information regarding services or assistance to graduate students, where possible, that would not otherwise be provided by the College.
- To foster a sense of community within the students of the Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences.
- To establish a platform for graduate students to participate in community service events.
Article III - GSBMS-GSA Membership
Membership with voting privileges is established upon payment of a student activity fee, per semester. The amount of said fee shall be determined or re-evaluated each semester at an Executive Council meeting by a majority vote of those present. If a change in the fee schedule is recommended, the Dean of the Graduate School and the Board of Trustees Finance Committee must approve of such a change. If no change is requested, the previous semester's established fee will remain effective unless re-evaluated and voted on accordingly.
Article IV - Officers, Representatives, Meetings, and Election Procedures
Section 1. Officers
Officers shall be chosen from among the matriculated student population and shall serve as President, Vice President, Chair of the Graduate Student Research Forum, Vice Chair of the Graduate Student Research Forum, Chair of Community Building, Treasurer, and Secretary. Their term should not be less than one semester nor exceed one year (two consecutive semesters) unless re-elected. The exception shall be for the Vice President who will assume the responsibilities of the President after a two semester term.
Section 2. Meetings
Officers have the responsibility to meet monthly and discuss topics for consideration by the general membership. This group will be hence named The Executive Council of the Graduate Student Association. At each meeting, a quorum of at least four members of the Executive Council is required. At such meetings, each member has one vote on any motion. A plurality wins in all motion except for amendments to the GSBMS-GSA constitution in which a majority of all members is required.
Section 3. Elections of Executive Council Officers
- Nominations for Executive Council officers shall be made by students of the current students of The Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences. All graduate students are eligible to be nominated for a position and may nominate themselves if they desire. No absentee nominations are to be accepted.
- A meeting open to all graduate students shall be held allowing nominees to present speeches for their candidacy. Following said meeting, a copy of the speeches shall be made available to all graduate students.
- Election of Officers shall be held no later than the fourth week of the fall semester. Elections are to be conducted over a minimum of two consecutive days. Elections shall be coordinated by the current year's president.
- If the incoming president vacates their role, there will be an election for that position as well. In this circumstance the election shall be coordinated by the New York Medical College Graduate School of Basic Medical Science administration office.
Section 4. Terms of Office
- The terms of office for all officers other than the president shall begin immediately following the election
- The terms of office for all positions, including the president, will cease at the end of the next spring semester of the year in which that term began.
- The Vice President will assume the role of president immediately at the end of their term, the end of the spring semester following election.
Article V - Duties of Officers
It shall be the duty of the President to call and preside over all meetings and elections, to appoint representatives to faculty and administrative standing committees at the approval of the dean and/or chancellor, to attend Graduate Faculty Council meetings, to attend the meeting of the Board of Trustees, to meet, when necessary, with the Dean, faculty and administration, and to report all business at Executive Council meetings.
It shall be the duty of the Vice President to assist the President in overseeing all activities of the GSBMS-GSA. In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President. The Vice President will assume the role of President in the year following their term as Vice President without a re-election.
Chair of the Graduate Student Research Forum
It shall be the duty of the Chair of the Graduate Student Research Forum to organize and oversee the organization of the annual Graduate Student Research Forum, including all aspects of public relations.
Vice Chair of the Graduate Student Research Forum
It shall be the duty of the Vice Chair of the Graduate Student Research Forum to assist the Chair of the Graduate Student Research Forum in organizing and overseeing the annual Graduate Student Research Forum.
Chair of Community Building
It shall be the duty of the Chair of Community Building to organize and oversee all social activities regarding the GSA, including all matters of public relations with exception to the forum. It shall also be the duty of the Chair of Social Events to oversee an annual GSA community service project.
It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to oversee the finances of the GSA including all matters of fundraising concerning, but not limited to, the Annual Research Forum.
It shall be the duty of the Secretary to make a written record of the business addressed at all general and Executive Council meetings and to make these minutes available to the graduate student body. The secretary is also responsible for the production and distribution of a GSA newsletter as well as keeping the GSA Webpage up to date.
Article VI - Non-member Representation
Faculty and administration of New York Medical College's Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences may be invited to attend Executive Council meetings. None shall, however, have a vote but may speak to the Executive Council.
Article VII - Separation of Basic Medical Sciences from Health Sciences Graduate Student Association
The organization, The New York Medical College Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences Graduate Student Association (GSBMS-GSA), is a separate organization from that of the School of Health Sciences and Practice Student Association (SHSP-GSA), the Student Senate serving the medical students, or any other student association at New York Medical College.
Article VIII - Amendments to the Constitution
- All proposed amendments to the Constitution must be sponsored by a minimum of three (3) members of the Association and submitted in written form at an Executive Council meeting.
- At the following Executive Council meeting, the amendment(s) shall be considered and voted on for proposal to the graduate student body.
- Once approved by the Executive Council, all amendments are to be made available to the graduate student body and a period of one month be allotted to receive input from the students. Barring any dissenting arguments by students, the amendment will be ratified at a following Executive council meeting.
- If there any dissenting arguments by students, the amendment is to be reconsidered at a following Executive Council meeting. The officers can then make changes to the amendment and again propose it to the students or nullify the amendment all together.
- No amendment concerning the same idea can be proposed to the student body in excess of three times within one term of office.
October 30, 2015