New York Medical College

School of Health Sciences and Practice

Academic Regulations


Additional academic regulations information for the Doctor of
Public Health Programs
, and the Physical Therapy and
Speech-Language Pathology students are contained in those
respective sections of the SHSP catalog.


Confidentiality of Student Records and Public
Information Policy

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, specifically provides that a school may disclose what is termed “directory information” about students to third parties without the student’s consent. Such directory information may include the following: student’s name, address, telephone number, major field or program of study, name of the school enrolled in, dates of attendance, year of expected graduation and other similar information.

Any student who wishes any or all of his/her directory information to remain confidential may inform the Office of the University Registrar of this request in writing at any time. In addition, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act guarantees all students access to their own education records. Additional specific information regarding confidentiality of students’ records can be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.


Transcripts and Release of Information

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, prohibits the release of educational records by institutions without the specific written consent of the student or alumnus/a.

A New York Medical College transcript will be mailed at the individual’s request to another educational institution or employer. Each transcript is marked “confidential” and carries the instruction that it is not to be turned over to the individual. The purpose of this ruling is to avoid possible loss and fraudulent use of an official document of New York Medical College. Requests for official transcripts should be made to the Office of the University Registrar.


Enrollment Status

The programs in Physical Therapy and Speech-Language Pathology enroll only full-time students. For the MS in Biostatistics and Public Health programs the number of credits taken establishes a student’s enrollment status, which is determined each term. Students are considered to be full time when enrolled in 12 or more credits during any Fall or Spring semester. During the summer session, 6 credits constitutes full-time enrollment. Students with fewer credits are considered part time. To be eligible for financial aid and/or loan deferment, during the Fall and Spring semesters a student must take at least six credits.


System of Grades

The system of grades and points assigned to each grade is as follows:

Grade Point
A= 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
F = 0.0 Failure

A student who ceases to attend classes but does not officially withdraw from a course will automatically receive a failing grade. Other designations are:

INC - Incomplete
AUD - Audit
W – Withdrawal
WF – Withdraw/Failing
X – Grade Not Available
F# - Course Repeated with Grade
GNR - Grade Not Reported
MT - Multi-term
P - Pass
S - Satisfactory
U - Unsatisfactory
H - Honors (for thesis only)

Calculating Grade Point Average (GPA)

Each credit earned generates a specific number of quality points according to the letter grade earned. Grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of a student’s quality points by the total number of credits for which a grade has been assigned.


Credit Hours Grade Point Quality Points
3 x 4.0 (A) = 12.0
3 x 3.3 (B+) = 9.9
3 x 3.0 (B) = 9.0
30.9 ÷ 9 = 3.43
The GPA for this student is 3.43.

A grade for transferred credits is not calculated in the student’s grade point average. However, transferred credits are applied toward the completion of degree requirements.


Course Evaluations


Course evaluations are a course requirement

The School of Health Sciences and Practice requires that each student to complete a course evaluation for each course taken.

This is a requirement for all courses. Until a course evaluation is completed, the course grade(s) will not be provided to the student, the grade(s) will be shown as an “X” on the student’s transcript, but the course grade(s) will be reflected in the overall GPA.


Student Grade Reports

Students enrolled in classes may view final grades in student self-service (

Incomplete Coursework

A student who has completed a substantial portion of the course requirements but is unable to complete a course for reasons of health, change of job location, a family emergency or other exceptional circumstance, must submit a written request to the course instructor for an “Incomplete.” If the reason is deemed appropriate, the student will receive the grade “INC” (Incomplete) for the course. Failure to complete the work by the end of the Fall or Spring semester following the term in which the course was taken will result in a grade of “F.”

Both the student and the instructor are notified by the Registrar that an “INC” has been converted to an “F.” Upon receipt of this notice, the instructor may request an extension, subject to the Chair’s approval, not to exceed one additional fall or spring semester. Any extension in excess of two consecutive fall or spring semesters must be requested by the Dean as an exceptional case since the passage of time often brings changes to course content.


Course Audit

No audits of Physical Therapy and Speech-Language Pathology courses are permitted. Students who do not wish to receive credit for a Public Health course may register as auditors. Such students must formally register and pay tuition and any fees associated with the course. However, they are not required to take exams or submit assignments.

A student may change from credit to audit status for a course through the third week of classes. A written request from the student, signed by the Dean, must be made to the Office of the University Registrar.


Withdrawal from a Course or Withdrawal from the School

Students who wish to drop a course or courses may withdraw from the course through the 10th week of a 15-week term and through the sixth week of an eight-week term. Withdrawal from a course is indicated on a student’s transcript by a grade of W (withdraw) or W/F (withdraw, failing).  The W/F grade is recorded if the student is failing the course and more than 50% of the final grade has been determined.

Students may drop any course and officially withdraw by completing a Drop/Add form, available on the Office of the University Registrar website or the Admissions Office website, obtaining the signature of the instructor and then returning the form to the Office of the University Registrar or the Admissions Office. “Drop” or “Withdrawal” requests will not be accepted by telephone.

Students who stop attending a course but do not officially withdraw will receive an “F”. Before dropping a course, it is highly recommended that a student discuss the matter with the instructor and/or the appropriate program advisor.

Students who receive a “W”  or “W/F” may retake the course for credit provided they reregister and pay to take the course again.

Students who wish to withdraw from the School of Health Sciences and Practice should inform the Registrar by letter, and should complete the Drop/Add form for withdrawal from courses. Matriculated students should send a copy of their letter to the appropriate department chair; conditional admissions and non-matriculating students should send a copy to the Admissions Office


Repeating Courses

Students who do not meet a minimum grade requirement in a core or concentration course may be required to repeat the course. Similarly, students may wish to repeat a course in which a grade of “F” was received in order to remove that grade from the calculation of the GPA.

When a student repeats a course, the transcript will reflect the repetition and each letter grade. Only the later of the two grades will be calculated in the student’s grade point average. Credit for the course will be given only once.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress and Good Academic Standing
Students are required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards a degree at all times. Click here to view the School of Health Sciences and Practice Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress.


Change of Program

A matriculated MPH student who wishes to change his/her degree or certificate program of concentration should send a request to the Chair or Program Director of the new program, along with the University Registrar's Change of Program, and a new personal statement for review and approval.

If the Chair/Program Director agrees to accept the student into the new program, he/she will sign the form and forward it to the Chair of the student’s former program for signature. The Chair of the student’s former program will forward the form to the Dean’s Office for final approval or denial. The Vice Dean will sign the form and forward it to the Registrar.


Transfer of Credits

A matriculated public health student who has completed graduate courses at other schools may be permitted to transfer earned credits.  Applicants must have earned a minimum grade of B, course credits must not have been applied toward a degree that was granted at another institution, and courses must be appropriate to the student’s program at the School of Health Sciences and Practice. For MPH degree candidates, a maximum of 9 credits are transferable. For DrPH degree candidates, a maximum of 12 credits are transferable. Students must submit the Transfer of Credit form, available online, in the Office of the University Registrar or in the Admissions Office, to the Department Chair/Program Director, along with course descriptions and/or course syllabi.


Leave of Absence, Maintenance of Matriculation and Reapplication

A student may be allowed a leave of absence for a period of up to one year following the semester of last attendance. Leaves for all matriculated students must be approved by the Department Chair and the Vice Dean. Leaves for  non-matriculated students in the Public Health programs must be approved by the Vice Dean. Forms to request a leave of absence are available in the Office of the University Registrar and the Admissions Office.

A student must obtain permission from the Department Chair before taking a leave of absence in the semester preceding graduation.

A matriculated public health student who is not on a leave of absence and who is not registered for course credits must maintain academic standing by registering for maintenance of matriculation and by paying the maintenance of matriculation fee (the cost of one credit) for a period of time not to exceed four consecutive semesters. An activity fee is not required, but a network access fee is required. This and the maintenance of matriculation fee entitle the student to the services of the library, the computer center, and academic/thesis advising.

Students who are not on a leave of absence and do not pay the Maintenance of Matriculation fee over the course of one year will be considered to have withdrawn from the School. It will be necessary for them to reapply to continue studies.

Individuals who have previously applied to the School, but never registered and wish to attend must repeat the admission process if more than a year has lapsed since the original application. Also, a student who has not been enrolled for more than one year must reapply. This involves submission of all documents and the payment of all fees required for admission. Students will then adhere to the policies and course requirements  that are current at the time of readmission.


Change of Address

Continuing students should notify the Office of the University Registrar in writing of any changes of address or phone numbers.

Applicants should notify the Admissions Office of any changes in address or phone numbers that have occurred after submission of their application and before enrollment. If a student is currently corresponding with a particular department on campus, it is recommended that the department also be notified of any changes in address and phone.


Application to Graduate

A student (candidate) who wishes to receive his/her degree at Spring Commencement must submit a completed application to the Office of the University Registrar no later than December 1st of the previous year. All degree requirements, except courses in which the candidate is currently enrolled, must be completed by April 1.

Students will be permitted to graduate only after they have fulfilled all academic requirements and financial obligations to the College.


Comprehensive Exam Requirements

A student who completes master’s degree requirements later than the fourth anniversary of the semester of entry into the School of Health Sciences and Practice may be required to pass a comprehensive written examination as part of the requirements for the degree. This examination is in addition to the comprehensive written examination that is required as a culminating experience for MPH distance education students.


Student Code of Academic Integrity and Professionalism


Academic integrity is essential in any educational endeavor and it is expected at all times from both students and faculty. By accepting admission to New York Medical College students commit to the ideals, ethics and conduct of their profession. Click here for Student Code of Academic Integrity and Professionalism.


Investigations of suspected violations of the Student Code of Academic Integrity and Professionalism will proceed in accordance with the school procedures and the guidelines of the relevant academic program. Violation of this Student Code of Academic Integrity and Professionalism may lead to dismissal from the school. See Procedures for Addressing Violations of the Student Code of Academic Integrity and Professionalism.


Page updated: September 11, 2015