New York Medical College

Alumni & Development

Securities Transfers

To donate common stock to the College, please refer to these transfer instructions.


If the certificate(s) are held by you:

  1. Send your certificate(s) by certified mail or by overnight carrier, without any endorsement, assignment or other notations to New York Medical College.
  2. Enclose a letter stating the purpose of the gift.
  3. In a separate envelope, using the same carrier as employed with the certificate(s), send a stock/bond power endorsed in blank; that is, filling in only your signature but no other information. Your name should appear exactly as it does on the face of the certificate(s). If possible, include a copy of the letter you sent with your certificate(s). If you wish to donate only a portion of the shares represented by the certificate(s), the College will complete the transaction and re-register the remaining shares back to you. In your letter, please indicate the social security number and the complete name of the registered shareholder. Please also confirm the mailing address for re-registering the remaining shares.


If the certificates are held by a bank or broker:

  1. You can authorize your bank or broker in writing that you wish to make a gift/transfer of _____(number of) shares of ________(name of security) to be designated to New York Medical College for the purpose of ________________.
  2. Please send a copy of your authorization letter to the Development Office at New York Medical College. Include the telephone number of your banker or broker.


SPECIAL NOTE: Do not instruct your bank or broker to sell the securities from your account and forward the proceeds to New York Medical College. That would represent a cash transaction and you would be liable for any capital gains tax. However, if you hold depreciated securities, it is to your advantage to sell them from your account to establish a tax loss and then to make your gift in cash to the College.

Note: This page is intended to provide you with general information, not legal or tax advice about specific situations or problems. We encourage you to consult a lawyer or accountant for legal or tax matters.

For more information, please contact the Office of Development & Alumni Relations at or call (914) 594-4550.


Page updated: February 14, 2012