New York Medical College

Alumni & Development

Gift Of Securities

A growing number of our donors are taking advantage of the opportunity to contribute gifts of long-term appreciated securities to support the mission of New York Medical College. If you are considering making this type of a gift, we will be happy to work with you and/or your advisors to ensure that your gift benefits an area of the College that is important to you.


  • You may receive an income tax charitable deduction based on the market value of the securities at the time of the gift.
  • You may avoid capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the securities.
  • You may increase your income.


To donate common stock…

Click here for transfer instructions.

To donate closely held stock and mutual funds…

Non-marketable or closely held stock and mutual funds can also be given to New York Medical College. If you are considering making a gift of this type, please contact Dee Demling, Director of Advancement Services, at or at (914) 594-4542 for more information.


New York Medical College will issue a receipt of your gift for your records. You should speak to your tax advisor or other tax professional to assist you in determining the deductible value for tax purposes.

For internal purposes, we value your gift using the average price per share of the security on the day the College receives it. That value will be the mean of the high and low trading prices on the official date of your gift. The official date of your gift is determined based on how it is sent.

  • By mail…it is the postmark date.
  • By overnight carrier…it is the date of receipt by NYMC.
  • By electronic transfer…it is the date the security is received into the College's bank/brokerage account.
  • By re-registering the security into the College's name…it is the date on the new certificate(s).


For more information, please contact the Office of Development & Alumni Relations at or call (914) 594-4550.

Note: This page is intended to provide you with general information, not legal or tax advice about specific situations or problems. We encourage you to consult a lawyer or accountant for legal or tax matters.