Born in North Greece, Monroe County, New York, on July 13, 1878, Claude A. Burrett, Ph.B., M.D., FACS, graduated with a medical degree from the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical College in 1905.
Dr. Burrett was director of the pathogenic laboratory and instructor in toxicology at the University of Michigan College of Homeopathic Medicine, Ann Arbor, from 1905 to 1908; from 1908 to 1913, assistant professor of genito-urinary surgery, deriatology and electro-therapeutics; and from 1913 to 1914, professor of surgery and genitourinary surgery. At the Ohio State University College of Homeopathic Medicine, Columbus, Dr. Burrett was professor of surgery and acting dean from 1914 to 1915, and dean and professor of surgery from 1915 to 1922.
At the New York Medical College, Flower and Fifth Avenue Hospitals, he was dean, professor of surgery and director from 1925 to 1939, and its president from 1939 to 1941. He was elected a Fellow of the Academy November 4, 1937. Dr. Burrett was a Fellow and a former member of the Board of Governors of the American College of Surgeons, a member of the Medical Council of the State Board of Regents, a trustee of Syracuse University, a Fellow of the American Medical Association and a member of the State and County Medical Societies. During the World War, Dr. Burrett was surgeon to the student army training corps at Ohio State University and a member of the medical division of the Ohio Defense Board.
Claude A. Burrett passed away in New York City on March 3, 1941.