Please read the following information carefully. It provides instructions about NYMC Secondary Application requirements and important filing deadlines.
- All secondary applications must be submitted online no later than midnight (EST) January 31, 2015. If you are applying to the Early Decision Program the Secondary Application must be completed no later than midnight (EST) August 31, 2014.
- Your application to New York Medical College will only be reviewed after you have submitted all of the following required materials:
You can check the status of your application online throughout the application cycle by using your assigned user name and password.
- A completed online Secondary Application
- $120 Application Fee or Fee Waiver Request
- All required Letters of Evaluation
- Any additional information requested by the Office of Admissions.
Applications are reviewed when they are completed as well as continually throughout the application cycle. Incomplete applications are not reviewed.
Upon review of your application, you may be invited to NYMC for an interview anytime during our interview season which runs from early-October through the end of April.
We make every effort to process and review applications promptly. You can assist us in several ways:
- Apply and complete early. The earlier your application is complete, the earlier we can review your file.
- Check your status online. Please do not call the Office of Admissions on a regular basis to check on the status of your application. When we are busy answering phone calls we are not free to process applications.
- Please report any change in your name, social security number, postal address or e-mail address directly to AMCAS. If you think there may be confusion about the name that is used on your letters of evaluation, you can alert us by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, but any official name change must be reported through AMCAS.
Please read the following application instructions carefully. The review of your application will be delayed if it is incomplete or incorrect. If you are not prepared to complete the entire Secondary Application at this time, you may begin now and complete it at a later date. Please be sure to use the exact name you submitted to AMCAS on all documents.
|STEP 1: VERIFY PREREQUISITES
In order to apply to New York Medical College you must meet the following conditions. It is your responsibility to make sure that you meet all requirements. Please do not apply if you do not meet these conditions.
All courses offered in
satisfaction of the requirements for admission must be taken in, or accepted as
transfer credits by, an accredited college in the United States or Canada and
must be acceptable to that institution toward a baccalaureate degree in the arts
or sciences. This includes Advanced Placement courses taken in high school.
You have successfully
premed requirements, or have them in progress:
- General Biology with lab, 2
semesters (or equivalent)
- General Chemistry with lab, 2 semesters (or equivalent)
- Organic Chemistry with lab, 1
semester (or equivalent)
- Biochemistry, 1 semester with or without lab (or equivalent)**
- Physics, 2 semesters with lab (or
- English, 2 semesters (or
equivalent or successful completion of the English requirements of your undergraduate institution)
**Important note about the Biochemistry requirement:
- If you have already graduated and did not take Biochemistry, we will still review your application if you have taken Organic II. However confirmation of successful completion of a biochemistry course prior to matriculation will be required. (On-line coursework accepted.)
- If you are still an undergraduate and have not yet taken Biochemistry, we will still review your application if Biochemistry is listed as a course you anticipate taking prior to graduation. If you are accepted to the School of Medicine, we will verify your successful completion of this course on your final transcript.
- If you are still an undergraduate and are unable to fit Biochemistry into your schedule prior to graduation, we will still review your application if you have already taken Organic II. However confirmation of successful completion of a biochemistry course prior to matriculation will be required. (On-line coursework accepted.)
- You have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) between January 2012 and November 2014. MCAT scores from tests taken prior to January 2012 will not be accepted.
Please do not complete this application if you have been dismissed, previously withdrawn, or had academic difficulty in any medical school.
|STEP 2: PROVIDE LETTERS OF
Please read the instructions below carefully. Applications without the required letters of evaluation will not be reviewed.
General Information about Letters of Evaluation
- Required letters of evaluation must be received through the AMCAS Letter Service. Optional letters may be sent through the AMCAS Letter Service, or via PDF attachment to the NYMC Office of Admissions email address (email@example.com). The Office of Admissions no longer accepts hard-copy letters of evaluation sent through the US Postal Service.
- All letters must be on official letterhead and signed. (Electronic signatures are accepted)
- Please request your AMCAS ID be included on each of your letters.
- You must use the same name on all documents you submit to AMCAS
- Re-applicants must re-submit Letters of Evaluation.
- If you graduated prior to 2012 (this does not include 2012), and are unable to obtain letters of evaluation from your undergraduate or graduate school, we will accept other academically oriented letters. However, keep in mind that providing us with the requested letters will strengthen your application.
- All required documents must be submitted by midnight January 31, 2015.
REQUIRED LETTERS OF EVALUATION
Undergraduate School Letters of Evaluation
- If your college has a Premedical Advisory Committee, a single letter of evaluation from the Committee is preferred and will fulfill all undergraduate letters of evaluation requirements. A Committee letter does not require the names of individual letter writers.
- If your college does not have a premedical committee, a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required. The names of the individual letters writers must be listed on your AMCAS application. Two (2) letters must be from science faculty who either taught you in a class or supervised independent research for which you received credit toward your science GPA. Acceptable science courses for purposes of letters of evaluation include: biology, chemistry, physics, bio-medical engineering, or bio-engineering, etc. (Math is not considered a science course for purposes of letters of evaluation.) The third required letter of evaluation must be from a non-science course.
- One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.
Graduate School Letters of Evaluation
If you have completed or are currently pursuing a graduate degree, in addition to the undergraduate letters outlined above the following graduate letters of evaluation are required:
- One (1) letter of evaluation is required either from the Premedical Advisory Committee of your graduate program or an individual faculty member in your graduate department who has either taught you in a graduate class or supervised independent research for which you received graduate credit. A letter from a graduate science faculty member can substitute for one (1) undergraduate science letter.
- If you have just begun a graduate program in Summer/Fall 2014, one (1) letter of evaluation from faculty in your graduate department is required upon completion of your first semester. This requirement also applies if you are enrolled in non-degree granting graduate program.
Optional Letters of Evaluation
- Letters of evaluation from employers and/or volunteer clinical or community service experiences where you have spent a significant amount of time are highly recommended but not required.
- Employment and/or volunteer clinical or community service work references do not substitute for academic references. They are considered supplemental to the required letters of evaluation.
- ALL submitted optional letters of evaluation are placed in your file. However, only the names of two (2) optional letter writers will appear in the “letters tab” on your on-line application status page.
STEP 3: ADDITIONAL COMPLETION AND PAYMENT INFORMATION
The following information provides instructions about how to enter certain information on the secondary application. Some of the bullet points listed below may or may not apply to you. Please read each of them carefully.
- If you are listing NYMC faculty or employee information, enter the name of the person, hospital name, department, and the position or title of this individual. (Use the arrow button to access the drop down menu to indicate your relationship to the faculty member or employee.)
- If you are listing NYMC School of Medicine alumni relatives, enter their name and graduation year. If you are listing NYMC Graduate Medical Education Residency Program alumni relatives, enter their name, hospital, and department where the residency took place. (Use the arrow button to access the drop down menu to indicate your relationship to the NYMC alumnus.)
- If you are submitting a committee letter from your undergraduate or graduate school, please check the appropriate box and enter the name of the college you attended. A committee letter must be signed by at least one of its members.
- If you are submitting required individual letters of evaluation, for each letter please enter the name and title of the letter writer, the course name and number, the name of your undergraduate or graduate college where you took the course, and the number of credit hours earned. It is very important you check the appropriate box to indicate which letter(s) is from your undergraduate major.
- If you are submitting optional letters of evaluation, please enter the name and title of the letter writer and the name of the institution.
- If your graduate studies begin in Summer/Fall 2014, upon completion of your first semester, a letter of evaluation is required from a faculty member in your graduate program. This letter may be submitted via the AMCAS Letter Service – OR – the letter writer may submit it directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In order for you to proceed with the completion of the Secondary Application, information pertaining to this specific graduate letter of evaluation should be entered on the on-line application as follows:
Enter Name of Graduate School
- If you are submitting an optional letter of evaluation from an employer or volunteer clinical or community service activity, please enter N/A in the course and college name fields; and a 0 in the course number and credit hours earned fields. See sample below:
Credits Hours Earned
|Enter Evaluator Name
Enter Evaluator Title
A $120 non-refundable application fee is required in order to process your application. Payments may be made via credit card, AMCAS FAP-Fee Waiver, check or money order. Payments made by credit card or AMCAS FAP-Fee Waiver are processed electronically and allow us to complete your application more quickly. Checks or money orders should be made payable to New York Medical College and should include your AMCAS ID#. Please send to:
New York Medical College
School of Medicine - Office of Admissions
Administration Building – Suite 147
40 Sunshine Cottage Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
August 11, 2014