All applications must go through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) www.aamc.org/eras. We encourage both allopathic and osteopathic graduates of U.S. medical schools as well as highly qualified international graduates to apply.
For all applicants:
- USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK & CS or COMLEX Level 1, Level 2 CE & PE are required.
- High scores on these exams (minimum of 205 for USMLE, 480 for COMLEX), with each part taken only once are strongly preferred. Candidates with lower scores may be considered if the rest of their application is very strong, however, those with failures on more than one step will not be considered.
- A personal statement explaining your interest in psychiatry is very important. Please do not simply reiterate your accomplishments; let us know something about yourself that is not on the application.
- Interviews begin in early November and applications should be submitted no later than December 15.
- Interviews are conducted on Fridays, either 8:45-1:30, or 11:15-4:00. Please see www.aamc.org/eras for information about the application process.
For International Medical Graduates:
- American psychiatric experience (at least one month, more is preferred), with letters from American physicians, including at least one psychiatrist, is required. Equivalent experience will also be considered (e.g. UK, Canada, some other countries).
- Research experience is desirable, but not required.
- Recent graduation from medical school is also preferred.
- U.S. citizenship, J1 visa status or a green card are preferred. H1B visas will be considered only if you have passed Step 3 prior to the deadline for us to submit the rank order list to the Match.
- Passing Step 3 is desirable.
- ECFMG certification is required, but applicants may be interviewed if they have passed Step 1 and Step 2 CK & CS, but have not yet received their certification.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Our residency is approximately 50% each of international and US graduates.