The Office of Public Relations at New York Medical College is seeking a creative and detail oriented communications professional to join our team. The ideal candidate will have exceptional writing and editing skills as well the ability to work independently and adhere to deadlines. The individual in this position will play an integral role in communications and marketing projects that promote New York Medical College including printed and electronic publications, events, social media, the website, media relations and advertisements. Candidates invited for an interview will be required to submit writing samples and take a proofreading test.
- Create and edit content for NYMC’s newsletters, alumni magazine, strategic plan, website, social media sites, brochures, press releases, crisis communications, community announcements, speeches, advertisements and email correspondence, - ensuring the accuracy, timeliness, relevance and effectiveness of the content;
- Write and edit editorial copy for a variety of NYMC audiences, including but not limited to, current and prospective students, alumni, faculty, staff, the media and friends of the College;
- Interview NYMC students, faculty, staff and alumni and write compelling profiles;
- Create, schedule, and manage story assignments to meet appropriate deadlines. Coordinate with freelance writers and photographers as needed;
- Ensure NYMC’s style guide is enforced consistently and the Chicago Manual of Style style of writing is followed;
- Check spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, and word usage; proofread for errors in content: copy, art and design;
- Assist with promoting NYMC special events including assisting with invitations, marketing the events, writing press releases and doing social media posts;
- Attend NYMC lectures and events taking photos and conducting interviews as necessary and writing articles for publication;
- Develop and maintain professional relationships throughout the school and local community.
- Stay current on industry standards and innovation through a commitment to ongoing professional development in the field of communications, marketing, content strategy, social media and issues affecting higher education.
(A) Education requirement:
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Journalism or Communications required.
(B) Licenses or certifications:
(C) Technical/computer skills:
Proficiency with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook).
Strong organizational, managerial and problem-solving skills are necessary. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills (including proofreading skills) with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Strong personal and professional integrity with the highest ethical standards and a commitment to diversity essential.
(D) Prior experience:
Progressive experience editing/publishing and marketing experience required, preferably in an academic or nonprofit setting. The ideal candidate will have experience managing multiple projects simultaneously. Ability to work outside of normal business hours if needed.