Director of Campus Security
The Director of Campus Security provides leadership, vision, and direction to the non-sworn unionized Department staffed by New York State licensed unarmed security officers. Responsible for the 24/7 safety and security of the College’s students, staff, patients, visitors and all facilities and buildings.
1. Ensures college is in full compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations relative to the safety and security of the College. Duties include, but are not limited to, preparing reports and presentations for leadership as required, conducting investigations, security and threat assessments, preparation and submission of the annual Clery security and fire safety report and ensure ongoing compliance with all Clery and NYS Enough is Enough requirements, assist with Title 9 investigations, Manage VAWA training program, prepare annual operating and capital budget, assist in planning and staffing for special events, graduation, ceremonies, and dignitary visits ,manage all aspects of CCTV, access control and other security systems, parking and visitor management, manage and maintain security vehicle fleet, maintain outdoor emergency phone towers, determine staff uniform requirements and needs, manage mass notifications systems and messaging, maintains membership in professional security organizations, seeks out training opportunities, writes and submit security grants.
2. Serves as Incident Commander for all campus emergencies, weather events and criminal incidents. Coordinates with other campus Departments and outside agencies to ensure that all necessary resources are utilized and measures taken to resolve or reduce the impact of the incident. Acts as primary liaison with emergency responders. Develops, sends out and updates mass notification messages related to event/s. Notifies, briefs and continually updates College leadership. Conducts post event review and critique.
3. Makes staffing recommendations and assignments based on security assessments and staff capabilities and experience. Recruit and hires staff, develops training programs for new and current security staff with strong emphasis on emergency response, community relations and customer service. Manages all personnel issues in concert with Human Resources and General Counsel. Ensures security officers are properly licensed at all times. Trains Associate and Assistant Directors to assume Director duties in his/her absence.
4. Continually reviews, updates, revises, and develops security policies and procedures. Reviews all incident and other department report for accuracy and completeness. Expected to develop an on line computer dispatch and reporting system and will coordinate dispatch, incident reporting, CCTV, access control, and alarm systems onto one platform.
5. Revises current and develops new crime prevention strategies and training programs for students and staff. Focuses on active shooter, lockdown, evacuation, shelter in place situational awareness, threat assessments and emergency messaging. Working with Touro Emergency Management staff, develops and participates in drills from tabletop to full scale exercises.
(A) Education requirement:
Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice or related field, Masters preferred.
(B) Licenses or certifications:
Maintain NYS Full carry pistol permit and HR218. NYS General Topics Police Instructor preferred. Graduate of FBI National Academy of PERF Senior Management Institute for Police or equivalent training. Required to obtain and maintain a NYS armed guard license within 60 days of employment.
(C) Technical/computer skills:
Microsoft word, PowerPoint and Excel. Understanding of CCTV and access control systems preferred.
(D) Prior experience:
15+ years police experience with at least 5 years at a supervisory/command level with a strong background in training and/or community relations. Public speaking experience.