Director of Facilities Management & Capital Planning
The Director of Facilities Management & Capital Planning provides innovative and strategic leadership for all aspects of facilities operations, including all facets of facilities management, capital planning and construction management at New York Medical College (NYMC). The Director leads a staff of approximately 30 NYMC employees, overseeing the operations, maintenance and construction in and around the 25 buildings and related infrastructure found on the 54 acres of property at NYMC. The Director will also serve as NYMC’s representative of Facilities management in interactions with the Board of Trustees, state and local officials, and be member of the broader Touro College and University System Senior Facilities Management Team.
Perform all tasks necessary to manage a large staff of employees including, but not limiting to, recruiting and filling vacant positions in collaboration with Human Resources, providing constructive feedback to subordinate staff, and ensuring utmost professionalism and efficiency of facilities and maintenance personnel.
Budget and Contract Management:
Manage and maximize supply chain, competitive sourcing, and procurement activities to ensure proper budgeting, planning and use of all financial resources.
Operations & Maintenance:
Ensure proper maintenance and operation of facilities equipment and systems. Provide oversight of preventive maintenance programs, outage responses, repairs, inspection programs, planned upgrades, and any other aspect of facilities management.
Serve as the project head of short and long-term capital planning initiatives. Develop tailored sustainability assessments, utilize data metrics and survey tracking, and exercising strategic fiscal responsibility to ensure proper policies, procedures, design guidelines, and standard contracts meet the utmost standards of best practices for project planning and implementation.
Develop positive relationships with key colleagues and stakeholders across the campus community. Utilize various College communication platforms including email list serves and NYMC newsletter to provide clear, concise, and robust communications at the appropriate level of detail for any constituency including staff, faculty, students, trustees, or others.
- Bachelor's degree in planning, architecture, engineering, or related field
- At least 10 years of progressive management experience or equivalent combination.
- Demonstrated ability of leading large teams to manage complex projects successfully, efficiently and cost effectively
- Experience leading a union and non-unionized staff
- Knowledge of all applicable regulatory codes and standard practice and experience with the development and control of budgets
- Working knowledge of all applicable regulations/codes/standards best practices
- Broad knowledge and understanding of broad range of Environment, Health and Safety fields and advanced or expert knowledge of laboratory design (including laboratory ventilation).
- Ability to multitask and balance a variety of short and long term projects
- Capacity to effectively communicate organizational goals and objectives
- Detail oriented
- Flexibility to meet the evolving needs of a college community
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal communications and negotiation skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Creative problem solving
- Capability to overcome uncertainty