Reporting to the Student Housing Superintendent, handyman will be responsible for performing routine repairs and maintenance in student housing. This position is security sensitive and requires a background investigation.
1. Perform routine and minor repairs and maintenance such as changing electric heaters, fixing outlets, replacing switches, drain and faucet repairs, replacing light bulbs, plastering holes in walls and minor painting, in housing units and in common areas of housing facilities.
2. Perform routine and scheduled preventative maintenance of heating, plumbing, air conditioning, electrical and fire safety systems and equipment. Escort outside contractors (including exterminator) performing work.
3. Respond to calls for maintenance and repairs from residents in student housing units and perform repairs and maintenance as scheduled with student residents. Perform minor repairs as necessary in vacant units.
4. Assists Superintendent in ensuring that housing facilities and property are properly maintained. Ensure that repair and maintenance service requests are performed professionally.
5. Assist with student lockout. Shares on-call duties with the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent and responds to off shift emergencies as needed.
6. Performs lawn mowing, leaf blowing, plowing, snowblowing sidewalks, operating small equipment/vehicles, planting, mulching and pruning as needed. Assists with cleaning of common areas. Other duties as assigned.
(A) Education Requirement:
The individual should possess a high school diploma, Trade school or equivalent GED certificate.
(B) Licenses or Certifications:
Valid driver’s license required – current OSHA 10 hour construction certification or the ability to obtain certification within (6) months.
(C) Technical/Computer Skills:
Should be mechanically and electrically proficient with a good understanding of buildings and equipment. Must be detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task as well as work independently. Good organizational and communication skills. Must be diplomatic in dealing with the public and exercise sound judgment. Must be able to utilize a CMMS/iPad for work order assignments and inspections. The individual must be able to communicate professionally in English (both verbally and in writing).
(D) Prior Experience:
A minimum of (5) years prior experience in building maintenance as a Handyperson with demonstrated knowledge and experience operating machinery and equipment related to responsibilities of the position. Knowledge of workplace safety is essential.
(E) Physical & Environmental Demands:
Frequently required to walk to various campus locations and is occasionally required to assess and maintain other related equipment. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and climb ladders. Must be able to perform extensive physical work in inclement weather (e.g. shoveling snow). Certain aspects of indoor work is performed in non- air conditioned space. Work sometimes performed on/near operating equipment. Outdoor work performed in all climates.