Seeking a Vice Dean for the Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences
The Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences (GSBMS) at New York Medical College (NYMC) seeks an entrepreneurial, collaborative and engaging Vice Dean. The Vice Dean will report directly to the Dean of GSBMS and will provide supportive leadership to advance the mission of the GSBMS.
NYMC is located on a lush 54-acre campus in in Westchester County, only 25 miles north of midtown Manhattan, New York City. Founded in 1860, NYMC is one of the oldest and largest medical colleges in the US. A combination of a proud legacy of inclusion, exceptional academics, and affiliation with the nearby Westchester Medical Center provides an ideal base for basic and translation research and clinical activities. More than half of the College's research is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), conducted by more than 150 basic and clinical scientists working here and at our affiliated hospitals, and in collaboration with biopharmaceutical companies. The Graduate School offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in basic science disciplines (biochemistry and molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology and immunology, pathology, pharmacology, and physiology), and as well as M.S. in professional and clinical laboratory sciences.
The successful candidate will serve as a liaison for graduate student affairs, will drive development of new graduate programs, will enhance and strengthen existing programs, review and create relevant academic policies, and establish and strengthen relationships with partner academic and clinical institutions.
A successful candidate is an active, extramurally funded scientist who seeks to establish a vibrant research program. The administrative role of Vice Dean will represent 30% of the candidate’s effort, in conjunction with research and teaching responsibilities (70% effort). The candidate will receive a tenure-track or tenured appointment in one of our basic science departments, based on their area of scientific interest. A competitive start-up package will be provided.
The candidate will have an earned Ph.D. in a biomedical science discipline with a record of active extramurally funded research, teaching excellence, collaboration in biomedical science education and research, experience as a university faculty member with credentials commensurate with the rank of associate professor or above (tenure-track or tenured), and a record of progressive experience in academic administration, such as academic unit administrator or graduate program director with personnel direct report responsibilities (preferred, but not required) and evidence of significant involvement in program development, implementation, accreditation and assessment. The candidate will have demonstrated a record of ethical, fair, and innovative leadership, with excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and communication skills, and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Vice Dean, Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences Key Functions and Responsibilities
- Serve as a senior advisor to the Dean, and as a member of the GSBMS leadership team, participating in the planning and coordination of the student, faculty, and administrative affairs of GSBMS
- Develop strategy and direction for GSBMS in collaboration with faculty and administration of NYMC
- Manage the education programs at GSBMS, including review, design and implementation of polices and processes for admissions, curriculum and education
- Review, revise and grow the Graduate School programs, with special emphasis on the Master’s (MS) programs
- Review and supervise the quality of teaching by GSBMS faculty
- Review and ensure that all GSBMS administrative and academic policies are current
- Serve as an advisor to students and student groups
- Develop, prepare and coordinate applications for fellowships, institutional and training grants
- Serve as a liaison between external and internal constituencies
- Represent GSBMS on institutional committees; represent the GSBMS Dean in administrative meetings
- Prepare reports and provide data related to all GSBMS activities, as requested
- In collaboration with the leadership of the College, will work with other divisions of the Touro College and University System in developing educational programs and research activities
- Pursue personal research, scholarly and teaching activities (70% effort), including seeking external funding for research, in a manner consistent with the administrative tasks
- Perform any other additional duties assigned by the Dean
Vice Dean of Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences Preferred Attributes, Skills, Experience
- An earned Ph.D. in a biomedical science discipline, active extramurally funded research program, and a record of academic administration
- Experience as a university faculty member with credentials commensurate with senior faculty status
- Record of progressive experience in academic administration.
- Experience as an academic unit administrator with personnel direct report responsibilities (preferred)
- Evidence of significant involvement in curricular development, implementation, and assessment
- Experience in academic program development
- Demonstrated experience in accreditation processes and strategic planning
- Significant level of administrative and programmatic experience in working with external partners to establish and implement collaborative programs
- Strong communications skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrated evidence of an energetic, creative, and results-oriented leadership style that promotes trust, autonomy, and accountability
- Evidence of working well with administrative and academic colleagues, administrative support staff, and superiors
- Evidence of positive engagement with students
To apply please send a single pdf that includes (1) Letter of interest, (2) Research statement, (3) Curriculum vitae, and (4) Contact details of 3 references (references will not be contacted without consent from applicant) to: Ms. Barbara Lewis at email@example.com.