Department of Pathology
Macy Pavilion, Rm# 1427
Westchester Medical Center
New York Medical College
Valhalla, NY 10595
Molecular pathology, genitourinary pathology and cancer biology
Clinical fellowship training: Northwestern University; Mount Sinai Medical School
Resident training: New Jersey Medical School
Post-doctoral studies: The Rockefeller University
Graduate degree: Graduate center, City University of New York, Ph.D. in Biology
Medical school: Tongji Medical University, China
1. Identification of a novel PARP14-TFE3 gene fusion from 10-year-old FFPE tissue by RNA-seq. Huang W, Goldfischer M, Babyeva S, Mao Y, Volyanskyy K, Dimitrova N, Fallon JT, Zhong M. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2015 May 29.
2. Distinguishing nested variants of urothelial carcinoma from benign mimickers by TERT promoter mutation. Zhong M, Tian W, Zhuge J, Zheng X, Huang T, Cai D, Zhang D, Yang XJ, Argani P, Fallon JT, Epstein JI. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Jan;39(1):127-31
3. High frequency of TERT promoter mutation in small cell carcinoma of bladder, but not in small cell carcinoma of other origins. Zheng X, Zhuge J, Bezerra SM, Faraj SF, Munari E, Fallon JT 3rd, Yang XJ, Argani P, Netto GJ, Zhong M. J Hematol Oncol. 2014 Jul 20;7:47
4. Translocation renal cell carcinomas in adults: a single-institution experience. Zhong M, De Angelo P, Osborne L, Paniz-Mondolfi AE, Geller M, Yang Y, Linehan WM, Merino MJ, Cordon-Cardo C, Cai D. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012 May;36(5):654-62.
5. Dual-color, break-apart FISH assay on paraffin-embedded tissues as an adjunct to diagnosis of Xp11 translocation renal cell carcinoma and alveolar soft part sarcoma. Zhong M, De Angelo P, Osborne L, Keane-Tarchichi M, Goldfischer M, Edelmann L, Yang Y, Linehan WM, Merino MJ, Aisner S, Hameed M. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010 Jun;34(6):757-66.
6. Dephosphorylation of phosphotyrosine on STAT1 dimers requires extensive spatial reorientation of the monomers facilitated by the N-terminal domain. Mertens C, Zhong M, Krishnaraj R, Zou W, Chen X, Darnell JE Jr. Genes Dev. 2006 Dec 15;20(24):3372-81.
7. Implications of an antiparallel dimeric structure of nonphosphorylated STAT1 for the activation-inactivation cycle.Zhong M, Henriksen MA, Takeuchi K, Schaefer O, Liu B, ten Hoeve J, Ren Z, Mao X, Chen X, Shuai K, Darnell JE Jr. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 Mar 15;102(11):3966-71
8. Downregulating PKC delta provides a PI3K/Akt-independent survival signal that overcomes apoptotic signals generated by c-Src overexpression. Zhong M, Lu Z, Foster DA. Oncogene. 2002 Feb 7;21(7):1071-8.