Summer Research Fellowships
The Office of Medical Student Affairs funds a limited number of students to pursue research and scholarship under the direction of NYMC faculty members. This program is limited to first-year students who have successfully completed their initial course of study.
- The Medical Student Summer Research Fellowships (MSASF) provides stipends of approximately $250 per week for a minimum of four consecutive weeks.
- A limited number of funding positions (max.10) in the amount of $1,000 each will be considered for summer positions outside of the NYMC consortium, where funding is not available. Follow the same instructions below as for the NYMC program.
- Good Academic Standing (No summer course make-ups or course remediation)
- Placements available for any NYMC Affiliated Sites (NYMC campus and clinical affiliates). May apply for external funding as stated above.
- Clinical shadowing opportunities are potentially valuable experiences, but by themselves do not qualify as scholarly work and therefore are not eligible for funding. Consider combining such an experience with the writing of suitably researched case report or literature review.
- Must submit a product of scholarly work at the end of the program
- Must complete an IRS Form W-9 upon acceptance to the program (this will be provided to you at the time of your acceptance).
- First identify an NYMC mentor in your area of interest. You are not limited to the mentors listed in the Medical Student Research Opportunities Catalog of known research/scholarly activities so if you have specific interests not covered, contact departments and/or faculty directly to discuss the possibilities of working together.
- Once you and your mentor have agreed to work together, you should complete the Fellowship application by following the link provided below.
- Download the Summer Research Project Proposal Face Sheet and have it signed by your mentor. You will need to scan the face sheet together with your proposal for uploading prior to starting the online application process.
- Complete your Project Proposal following instructions on the Project Proposal face sheet. You will need to scan the face sheet together with your proposal and upload the proposal to your application submission. We strongly recommend having your mentor review your formal Project Proposal prior to its submission.
- For students seeking to be considered for external funding, please complete the same application form and provide all required information.
- The deadline for submitting your proposal is Monday, April 15, 2019. Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list for available remaining funding and processed in the order that they are received.
- Applications without a faculty mentor signature or those that do not adhere to the Fellowship application and Project Proposal guidelines will not be considered.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance into the program, no later than mid-April, after completed applications have been reviewed.
Reports and Disbursements of Funds
The stipends for the MSASF will be paid in two (2) installments. The specific dates are still pending but the first disbursement will be distributed before June 30, 2019 and the remainder will be distributed at the end of the summer program upon receipt of a summary report of your scholarly work, your student evaluation/assessment and faculty evaluation.
Proceed to the MSASF Application
Note: you will need a scanned/electionic file of your Project Proposal Face Sheet (signed by your research mentor) and your Project Proposal prior to starting the online application process. Electronic files can be uploaded as .pdf or .jpg files.