NYMC > School of Medicine (SOM) > SOM Dean > SOM Dean History > Ralph E. Snyder

Ralph E. Snyder, M.D. '1950

Ralph E. Snyder, M.D. '1950, served as president of New York Medical College from 1959 to 1966.

At the age of 37, Dr. Snyder became one of the youngest presidents of an educational institution in the U.S. Prior to that, Dr. Snyder was appointed assistant dean in 1951, as executive dean in 1953, and as acting president from 1957-1959.


Dr. Snyder was born in Herkimer, N.Y. He graduated from Harvard University in 1943 with an A.B. degree. Following three years of service with the U.S. Army in China, Burma, and India, he enrolled at New York Medical College and received his M.D. in 1950. He interned at the College's Flower and Fifth Avenue Hospitals. 

Dr. Snyder started his career at his alma mater immediately upon graduation, serving as assistant dean. Four years later, he was appointed executive dean with the responsibility of accreditation.

During his tenure of office as dean, Dr. Snyder was responsible for the College's rapid growth and for the complete reorganization of the teaching program. Dr. Snyder developed resident clinical clerkships which led to the elimination of the traditional internship. He broadened the educational focus of the College, creating the graduate and post graduated divisions in nursing with degree granting authority including the Ph.D. While president of the College, he was presented with the Bronze Medal of the City of New York for his contributions to education, research and health care. Dr. Snyder left the College in 1966 to serve as director of professional relations for Merck Sharp and Dohme.

In 1977, he moved to Whispering Pines, N.C. and joined a citizen group that founded the Aberdeen Medical Clinic. In 1984, Dr. Snyder became medical director of North Carolina Medicare Peer Review Organization, responsible for oversight of care provided to Medicare patients. He held that position at the time of his death.

Ralph E. Snyder, M.D. '1950, passed away on August 6, 2000, in Pinehurst, N.C., at the age of 78.