Advanced Certificate in Emergency Management (15 Credits)
Learning to Keep Us All Safe
Large-scale emergencies can create a variety of hazards for workers and inhabitants in the impacted area. Advance preparation before an emergency incident is critical to individuals, organizations and communities. The Advanced Certificate in Emergency Management program will teach you best practices for ensuring that, in your organization and community, everyone knows how to keep themselves safe when an emergency occurs.
- This 15-credit certificate provides an integrated and multi-disciplinary approach to comprehensive emergency management and public health emergency preparedness for community-wide disasters, acts of terrorism, and public health emergencies.
- You will be equipped to either enter or advance in the field of emergency preparedness, with a strong background in comprehensive emergency planning and mitigation, hazard and vulnerability analysis, and the conduct of integrated emergency management planning, drills and exercises.
- Your classmates will come from varied fields including public health, hospitals, emergency management, emergency medical services, fire service, or law enforcement.
- This certificate is preparation for the Certified Emergency Manager® examination offered by the International Association of Emergency Managers.
- This certificate may be taken independently or as part of an M.P.H. degree.
In addition to a Bachelor’s Degree, many applicants have relevant initial experience in the field of emergency preparedness.
- Print and fill out the Application for Advanced Certificate in Emergency Management
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement explaining why you are interested in earning an advanced certificate in emergency management
- Two letters of recommendation ( 1 from an employer or supervisor)
- Transcripts from all colleges attended
Required courses: 15 credits
*This course should be taken first. Other courses are not sequential.
**This seminar applies only to distance education certificate only or distance education M.P.H. students who are pursuing the certificate as part of their studies. On-campus M.P.H. students will complete the Capstone course or a Thesis on an emergency preparedness topic.
SHSP Office of Admissions