Since 1971, New York Medical College (NYMC) has been located on a lush 54-acre campus in Valhalla, New York. A fixture in Westchester County in the lower Hudson Valley, only 25 miles north of midtown Manhattan, NYMC provides an ideal base for students who wish to study and practice medicine, conduct research and engage in public health activities.
Our roots go back to 1860 with the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of New York. In the following century, NYMC’s identity and reputation evolved through several significant events which expanded the College’s scope and reach, notably: the 1875 partnership with Metropolitan Hospital Center, an affiliation still in place today which represents the oldest American partnership between a public hospital and a private medical school in the United States; the opening of Flower Free Surgical Hospital in 1890, making the College the first existing medical school to own a hospital; and the subsequent merger with Fifth Avenue Hospital in 1935.
Serving a large and highly diverse geographic area and population, NYMC maintains close ties with local communities and maintains valuable affiliations with several outstanding hospitals and other health care facilities in the area. Having local physicians and health commissioners among our faculty is one example of how NYMC and the region enjoy a symbiotic relationship – each serves and supports the other, and our students and the surrounding communities are the chief beneficiaries.