Policy on Emergency Situation Closings: Inclement Weather
Dated: January 12, 2023
Supersedes: Policy on Emergency Situation Closings: Inclement Weather dated December 22, 2022
To establish guidelines regarding opening and closing the New York Medical College (the “College”) at its Valhalla Campus, including Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College (the “Campus”) during inclement weather.
It is the policy of the College to close, to be open for classes only, to close early, or to have a delayed opening at the Campus when weather conditions warrant.
This policy applies to all operations at the Campus.
Students and employees located at other College non-affiliation and affiliation facilities should adhere to local policy and conditions established by appropriate College management at that location.
Inclement weather – Severe weather conditions that could cause hazardous commuting conditions.
A. Status decision:
1. The decision to close prior to the start of the normal workday, have a delayed opening or to cease operations prior to the close of the normal work day, will be made by the Chief of Staff, Dean of the School of Medicine; Dean of the School of Health Sciences and Practice, the Dean of the Graduate School of Biomedical Medical Sciences and the Dean of the Touro College of Dental Medicine, based upon assessment and advice of the Director of Public Safety
2. The Director of Public Safety will put an announcement on the College website and send an NYMCalert email/text as soon as possible given Campus conditions (generally by 6:30 am).
Non-exempt and union employees who perform essential services and are required by their supervisor to report for work during a non-opening day will receive one and one-half times their normal pay for all hours worked, in addition to their regular pay. Individuals who are expected to report to work include, for example, employees who work in Public Safety, Facilities, Grounds, and Comparative Medicine as well as employees engaged in direct patient care and in time-sensitive laboratory experiments. Such individuals are designated as Level A employees by their supervisors with the concurrence of Human Resources.
C. “Open for Classes Only”
All Level A employees are to report to work. Also, to report to work are those employees designated to support the educational mission. Such individuals include, for example, teaching faculty with scheduled classes, selected library employees, and those who provide direct classroom support. Such individuals are designated as Level B faculty and staff by supervisors with the concurrence of Human Resources.
D. “Open, Business as Usual”
All faculty and staff are to report to work. In the event of unusual personal circumstances related to the inclement weather, employees should arrange with their supervisors to take the day off as a personal or annual leave day.
E. “Delayed Opening”
1. In the event of a delayed opening, the day will be treated as a work day and all College employees paid their regular wages for all normal working hours during which the College is closed, except that personnel who are absent from work because of sickness/injury, vacation or leave shall be paid for these hours on the same basis as their absence, i.e., if on vacation, will be paid as vacation,
2. College employees who report to work after the announced opening can charge the hours not worked after the opening time to personal or annual leave, or can request that their supervisor allow them to make up the time not worked within a short period.
3. College employees who do not report to work after the announced opening will not be paid for the hours not worked after the announced opening time, unless a valid written reason is provided to and approved by the supervisor or arrangement made to make up for the hours not worked within a short period.
F. “Early Closing”
1. Notification will be sent out to the NYMC College Community through the NYMCAlert system promptly following a decision regarding an early campus closure.
2. College employees who leave before the announced closing time will not be paid for the time before the announced closing time unless a valid reason is presented to, and authorized by, their supervisor. With supervisory approval, an employee may charge personal or vacation time for this early leaving.
Level A non-exempt employees who are required to report to work during a campus closure, including prior to a delayed opening or after an early closing, will be paid one and one-half times for hours worked during the closure period in addition to regular pay for that day or will be given equivalent at one and one-half time for hours worked compensatory time off within the next pay period. Union employees will be paid according to the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement in all Campus operating situations.
VI. EFFECTIVE DATE
This policy is effective immediately.
VII. POLICY MANAGEMENT
Executive Stakeholder: Chief of Staff
Oversight Office: Chancellor's Office