NYMC > Current Students > Student Services > Office of International Students and Scholars > International Students

International Student Information (F-1)

The F-1 program allows you to enter the US temporarily in F-1 status to study in a full-time academic program. F-1 sponsorship is school–specific. You cannot attend NYMC with another school’s F-1 program.

 Anyone who needs legal status to study in the US must obtain an F-1 program sponsorship. If you are already in a legal status (i.e. J-2, L-2, H-1B) which allows you to study, you do not need to change your status to F-1. However, you can choose to change to F-1 for F-1 benefits.  A tourist visa (B-1/B-2 or WT) does not allow you to study.


F-1 “visa”

A visa is a stamp in your passport that allows you to enter the US in F-1 “status”. A visa does not determine how long you may stay in the US. Canadians and Bermudians are exempt from obtaining a visa from the US embassy. But they still have to have an F-1 “status” upon entry to the US.

There is no such thing as “I am on an F-1 visa”, although that is a commonly used phrase. “I am in an F-1 status” is the correct way to describe F-1 students. 


Obtaining F-1 Status

    1. You must be fully admitted to one of the degree-seeking academic programs at NYMC. For admission questions, please refer to our Future Students
    2. You apply/obtain a Form I-20 from the Office of International Students and Scholars. Form I-20 is an agreement between you, NYMC, and the US government that you will attend the NYMC for a full-time academic program. You will abide by all the rules and regulations.
    3. With Form I-20, you go to the US embassy for an F-1 visa stamp in your passport (Canadians and Bermudans are exempt from this step.)
    4. Once you have an F-1 visa in your passport, you enter the US. The port of entry will grant you an F-1 Status.
    5. You attend the F-1 New Student Orientation by the Office of International Students and Scholars


F-1 regulation summary

As an F-1 student, you must:

    1. Have enough funds to complete an academic program, including (but not limited to) the tuition, fees, and living expenses (you must not count on having future employment/scholarship possibilities to supplement your education),
    2. Have a US address and Phone number after arriving in the US,
    3. Enroll in a Full-Time program (each program has a different credit number for Full Time. Check with your admitted program),
    4. Enroll in in-person/hybrid classes. One of the classes (up to 3 credits) can be online,
    5. Make normal progress toward the completion of the program, and
    6. Follow the institution’s policy, rules, and other federal/state/local laws and regulations.

If you do not follow the F-1 regulation set by the US Department of Homeland Security, your F-1 record will be terminated, and you will be expected to leave the US immediately.



Frequent Topics for International Students


On-campus housing

Please refer to our Housing & Residential Life for more information.

Working as an F-1 student

You can work as an F-1 student, but it is highly regulated. With the approval of the Office of International Students and Scholars, you may:

    • Work on-campus up to 20 hours per week (the positions are extremely limited at NYMC)
    • Do a paid internship for the curriculum requirements (Curriculum Practical Training/CPT)
    • Do practical training in the field of study for up to 12 months (Optional Practical Training/OPT). Students who are in the program identified as STEM majors may be eligible for 24 extra months of OPT.

Applying for a Social Security Number

You can apply for an SSN only if you are legally working.

Financial assistance for International Students

Some of the programs at NYMC offer scholarships. However, F-1 regulation states that F-1 students must have enough funds to complete an academic program (but not limited to) the tuition, fees, and living expenses. You must not count on having future employment/scholarship possibilities to supplement your education.  You may still apply for eligible private scholarships.   

You may also contact NYMC’s Office of Student Financial Planning to learn about financial planning, Budgeting, and rights and Responsibilities as a student.

Below are some of the Scholarship Search Services available.  Note – NYMC is not affiliated with and does not endorse these services. Be careful with scams. If anyone asks you for money or your financial information (credit card, bank account, etc), most likely, it is not legitimate.