Frank Fan Zhang, M.D., Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor of Pharmacology
Phone: (914) 594-3660
Department of Pharmacology
Basic Science Building, Rm. C26
15 Dana Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
The focus of my research is cardiovascular pharmacology, in particular, the regulation of vascular tone. My project utilizes isolated arteries and arterioles to investigate the role of 20-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (20-HETE) in the regulation of myogenic tone, constrictor responsiveness and vascular endothelial function in normotensive and hypertensive animals as it relates to pulmonary and cardiac diseases.
- Zhang F, Morice AH. The effect of lemakalim on hypoxic, KCl and PGF2a induced contractions in isolated rat pulmonary artery. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1994; 271(1): 326-33.
- Zhang F, Carson RC, and Thomas HM III. Effects of graded hypoxia on contraction of pulmonary and mesenteric artery smooth muscle cells. Circulation, 1995; 92 (8): I-700-701.
- Zhang F, Carson RC, Zhang H, Gibson G and Thomas HM III. Pulmonary artery smooth muscle cell contraction and intracellular calcium: responses to diphenyleneionium and hypoxia. Am. J. Physiol. 1997; 273 (Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol. 17): L603-611.
- Zhang F, Wang MH, Krishna UM, Falck JR, Laniado-Schwartzman M, Nasjletti A. Modulation by 20-HETE of phenylephrine-induced mesenteric artery contraction in spontaneously hypertensive and Wistar-Kyoto rats. Hypertension 2001 Dec 1;38(6):1311-5.
- Zhang F, Wang MH, Wang JS, Zand B, Gopal VR, Falck JR, Laniado-Schwartzman M, Nasjletti A. Transfection of CYP4A1 cDNA decreases diameter and increases responsiveness of gracilis muscle arterioles to constrictor stimuli. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004 Sep;287(3):H1089-95. Epub 2004 May 06.
- Zhang F, Kaide JI, Yang L, Jiang H, Quan S, Kemp R, Gong W, Balazy M, Abraham NG, Nasjletti A. CO modulates pulmonary vascular response to acute hypoxia: relation to endothelin. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004 Jan;286(1):H137-44. Epub 2003 Sep 11.
- Zhang F, Deng H, Kemp R, Singh H, Gopal VR, Falck JR, Laniado-Schwartzman M, Nasjletti A. Decreased levels of cytochrome P450 2E1-derived eicosanoids sensitize renal arteries to constrictor agonists in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Hypertension. 2005 Jan;45(1):103-8. Epub 2004 Nov 29.
- Lamon BD, Zhang FF, Puri N, Brodsky SV, Goligorsky MS, Nasjletti A. Dual pathways of carbon monoxide-mediated vasoregulation: modulation by redox mechanisms. Circ Res. 2009 Oct 9;105(8):775-83. Epub 2009 Sep 10. PMC2771695.
- Wu CC, Cheng J, Zhang FF, Gotlinger KH, Kelkar M, Zhang Y, Jat JL, Falck JR, Schwartzman ML. Androgen-Dependent Hypertension Is Mediated by 20-Hydroxy-5,8,11,14-Eicosatetraenoic Acid-Induced Vascular Dysfunction: Role of Inhibitor of kappa B Kinase. Hypertension. 2011 Apr;57(4):788-94.
- Ding Y, Wu CC, Garcia V, Dimitrova I, Weidenhammer A, Joseph G, Zhang F, Manthati VL, Falck JR, Capdevila JH, Schwartzman ML. 20-HETE induces remodeling of renal resistance arteries independent of blood pressure elevation in hypertension. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013 Sep 1;305(5):F753-63. doi: 10.1152/ajprenal.00292.2013. Epub 2013 Jul 3.
- Vasko R, Xavier S, Chen J, Lin CH, Ratliff B, Rabadi M, Maizel J, Tanokuchi R, Zhang F, Cao J, Goligorsky MS. Endothelial sirtuin 1 deficiency perpetrates nephrosclerosis through downregulation of matrix metalloproteinase-14: relevance to fibrosis of vascular senescence. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Feb;25(2):276-91.
- Garcia V, Cheng J, Weidenhammer A, Ding Y, Wu CC, Zhang F, Gotlinger K, Falck JR, Schwartzman ML. Androgen-induced hypertension in angiotensinogen deficient mice: Role of 20-HETE and EETS. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2015 Jan-Mar;116-117:124-30.
Search PubMed for all available publications of Frank Fan Zhang, M.D., Ph.D. and Michal Laniado Schwartzman, Ph.D.
Search PubMed for all available publications of Frank Fan Zhang, M.D., Ph.D. and Alberto Nasjletti, M.D.